The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Potting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Potted the Chicks| Next thread: potting »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on January 23, 2004 09:03 PM
HI ALL [wayey]
I received a piece of what I'm sure is of the Diffen family; stalk like. It has nice short stubby roots on it but would not fill up a regular/small sized pot unless most of the stalk was in the soil (almost up to the bottom of the leaves) or is that how they should be? [Roll Eyes] I've put it in a regular sized flower vase. Will it be ok? And can anyone tell me a few good houseplants that can grow in either soil or water and wont be bothered if decide to change from water to soil?
by Will Creed on January 23, 2004 11:46 PM
The bottom two to three inches of the rooted cutting should go into the soil in a pot that is just large enough for it to fit into. If that puts it close to the leaves, no problem.

Most green stemmed plants will root in either water or in soil. Older, woody-stemmed cuttings are best air-layered or rooted directly in soil.

Any plant that roots in water can later be transferred to a potting soil. However, there is always an adjustment period while the cell structure of the roots grown in water changes to adapt to soil. During that transition period it is very important to keep the potting mix evenly moist. If you use a peat and perlite mix that is soil-free, you will increase your success rate in making this transition.
by Bonsai Beginner on February 22, 2004 03:22 AM
I have heard 'Lucky Bamboo' will grow in either but I have not tried it in soil. I currantly have around twelve stalks in water.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Potted the Chicks| Next thread: potting »
Back to Thread index