The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Beloved Philodendron Selloum

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bells of ireland.| Next thread: Bending Dragon Trees »
Back to Thread index
by pnec2000 on January 23, 2004 01:46 AM
Hi, I'm a new member and boy do I need help. My philodendron is approximately 4 years old and is experiencing yellowing of it's leaves. One by one, day by day another leaf is dying. I don't know what's wrong with it but want to do whatever I can to save it. It is a beatiful plant that gets good sunlight in my front window. It gets evening sun from the west. Until now, all was well. Now all is not so good. Question, I noticed several "root like" stems coming to the surface of the soil. Should I repot the plant deeper into the pot? I have a huge pot, but the plant is huge, approximately 6 feet span.I added more soil a few days ago, hoping this would help. The soil is kept moderately moist and the temperature of the room stays near or about 70 degrees. The plant was last fertilized in late summer 2003. Any help is appreciated.
by loz on January 23, 2004 04:59 AM
Hello Pnec2000 and welcome to the forum....this is a great place and I know that you will get the help that you need, however since this is more for general greetings I am moving this topic to the houseplants section so you get more responses......Keep checking for some answers.....

Hope to see you around a lot!!!! [wayey] [grin]
by Will Creed on January 23, 2004 11:55 PM
Sometimes Selloums drop off a number of leaves rather suddenly in preparation for adding more new ones. I hope that is all that is happening with yours.

The light seems to be appropriate, so if there is a problem it is soil or rrot related.

Does the pot have drainage holes? If not, that is a problem.

Have you repotted recently? That often causes leaf drop.

Do you allow the top quarter of the soil to dry out before watering? Do you water thoroughly when you do water? Under or over watering can both cause leaf yellowing
by pnec2000 on January 24, 2004 03:40 PM
Thanks for your help Will. I believe I may be overwatering. I have not let the top layer of the soil dry out before rewatering and when I do water (once weekly), I am watering thoroughly - perhaps too thoroughly! The pot has a drainage hole on the bottom. However, approximately 1 inch of drainage rocks was added before the soil when repotted 2 years ago. I will let top layer of the soil dry out before rewatering and go from there. Thanks again!
by Buglady on January 29, 2004 01:22 AM
NEVER NEVER NEVER [Frown] plant a plant deeper then it already is. Over time this can kill most plants. (there are exceptions but this is not one)

These guys do like it a bit on the dry side. I have one now that is about 12 years old and it is a baby of the mother I had. I have roots coming off of it that are about 3 feet long but it is very happy. I feed it [thumb] Nutricote fertilizer 13-13-13 2 times a years and water as needed. I move it out in the summer and back in during the winter. It will drop leaves at this point from the change but once spring comes "George Jr." flushes right out again.

Good luck!!

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Will Creed on January 31, 2004 06:23 PM
Hi Buglady,

Can you describe what you mean by planting deeper into a pot? I am confused.

Will

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bells of ireland.| Next thread: Bending Dragon Trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: