The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peace lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: Peace Lily »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on January 18, 2004 04:14 AM
Hi
I'm new to this forum so I'm just learning how to use it. Please excuse my mistakes, if you find any.Ha!!
I'm wondering which type of propagation is used with a peace lily. I bought my first one not long ago and it is still quite young. Can anyone give me some info'? Thanks

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by catlover on January 18, 2004 04:23 AM
Rosepetal I am going to move this to Houseplants so it will be addressed sooner!

-
 -
 -
by lizheaemma on January 18, 2004 04:52 AM
propagation of peace lilies is by division at time of repotting!
by Rosepetal on January 18, 2004 05:00 AM
When is the best time to repot a peace lily? Can I do it while it is still quite young, Or is it best to wait?

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by lizheaemma on January 18, 2004 05:12 AM
If you take the plant gently out of it's pot and you can see lots of roots (more roots then soil)or if you see roots growing out of the drainage holes it's time to repot up one size pot!As far as propagating at the same time goes, I believe that you would want it to be fairly pot bound before you propogated and if your going to divide the plant remember you will probibly be staying with the same size pot as the plant will be smaller! As far as the best time goes? You can do it anytime, but the spring is though of as best as the plant will be going into a stage of more vigous growth.
by Rosepetal on January 18, 2004 08:53 PM
Thanks lots for your info'. You've been a plantsaving help. [flower]

-
 -
by Will Creed on January 19, 2004 04:18 AM
Although peace lilies are best propagated by division, they often suffer as a result of the trauma to the roots.

If you have a healthy peace lily, you may want to consider just keeping it as one plant. It is a far safer option if the plant is valuable to you.

Peace lilies should be repotted only when they cannot go more than three days without wilting following a thorough watering. Like most plants they do best when quite potbound. Repotting and division also will disrupt and delay flowering.
by Rosepetal on January 22, 2004 04:34 AM
Thanks for that extra information. I can see what you mean. I guess my best bet would be to buy a new peace lily. The one I now have is my first one and you're right I don't want to damage it especially since it has just nicely started on its growth path.
My daughter has it downstairs in an excellent location. I wanted another one that's why I asked my question.
By for now, and thanks again!!!! [wayey]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: Peace Lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: