The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pan American Friendship Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: pampus grass| Next thread: Pan Baked Pork »
Back to Thread index
by Mitzi on May 24, 2006 10:21 AM
I just purchased a new house plant and I am having difficulty finding much information regarding the plant. Some of the names include: Pilea Forgetti, Pilea Pan Am Panamiga, and finally the Pan American Friendship Plant. Is anyone familiar with this plant? I understand the lighting/watering information, but have found nothing regarding feeding the plant and/or any further care.

{No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.}
by Mitzi on May 24, 2006 04:56 PM
Well, I am going to reply to my own post, but would still like any extra information I can get. Here is the answer I found using Ask.com:

Pilea species do best in bright indirect or curtain-filtered sunlight; if only artificial light is available, provide at least 400 foot-candles. Night temperatures of 65° to 70° and day temperatures of 75° to 85° are ideal. Keep the soil barely moist at all times. Feed established plants at two-month intervals with standard house-plant fertilizer diluted to half the minimum strength recommended on the label, but wait three or four months before feeding newly purchased or potted plants. Because old plants become straggly, it is best to start new plants--from stem cuttings or by dividing the roots--early each spring. The plants generally grow most satisfactorily in 3- to 4-inch pots, a size that allows space for a good balance between root and top growth. Use a mixture of equal parts of a packaged general-purpose potting soil and peat moss or leaf mold. Watch for spider mites.
by JV on May 24, 2006 08:26 PM
Mitzi I can't help you as I have never heard of this plant but I can help you look for info. We are almost neighbors I live in far west Irving, angelblossom live in GrandPrairie. Welcome to the forum.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by JV on May 24, 2006 11:11 PM
Mitzi found this hope this helps.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Urticaceae/Pilea_involucrata.html

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Mitzi on May 25, 2006 02:36 AM
Thanks for the website. This is strange, but I swear I've seen this plant in every garden center I've been to. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I really think its beautiful and the first picture on the website Jimmy gave is the plant.
by Jiffymouse on May 25, 2006 06:41 AM
what you have seen is probably the close cousin, aluminum plant. i had to do a little research to make sure that i was thinking the right plant when i saw pilea.
by gomerp618 on May 25, 2006 09:29 AM
I have one of these plants and honestly.. I water it when it's needed and that's it. I have never fed it and it's growing nice, new plants form often and have even been able to share some of it with my brother.

I keep it on my dining room table between my north facing slider door and an east window covered with a bamboo shade.

Here's a couple pics of it. It was in a 3 inch pot when I bought it last fall with only 2 small plants. I moved it up when it started giving off new growth.

-

Here's some of the new growth.
 -

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by JV on May 25, 2006 08:47 PM
I just might get me one now they are pretty. Don't know where I will put it one of my DIL's said she has never seen so many plants at one house. Then she never saw my mothers yard.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by bettyboop1948 on May 27, 2006 02:12 AM
What I know about it is temp for it average warmth
minmum 50 F in winter
as for light bright lightor semi shade protect from direct sun summer mist leaves regularly repot in spring, good luck with your plant.
I love mine
bettyboop1948 [thumb] [flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pampus grass| Next thread: Pan Baked Pork »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: