The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Norfolk Pine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Norfolk Pine| Next thread: norfolk pine »
Back to Thread index
by Sherri on January 18, 2004 04:16 AM
Is there any bad time to repot a Norfolk Pine? I've had mine for aalmost 3 months and it is just kinda lopsided in the pot. I just want to put it in a nicer, slightly larger pot, but am concerned about upsetting it. Any input?

-
by heuchera on January 19, 2004 12:47 AM
Hi Sherri,
According to the info in my book,they should only be repotted every other year untill they reach a hieght of 3ft.They should then be left in the same pot and just have the topsoil changed yearly.
Although if yours is a small one and very rootbound,don,t think repotting it now would do any harm.
Good luck.

-
The grass may be greener on the other side,but you still have to mow it.
by Will Creed on January 19, 2004 04:13 AM
Sherri,

It is best not to move a plant into a larger pot until it really needs it because it is very potbound. Norfolk pines in pots that are too large do poorly. They rarely need repotting when kept as houseplants.

A leaning plant can be repositioned in the existing pot to make it straighter or turned away from the sun if it is growing noticeably toward the light.

If you don't like the appearance of the pot, then buy a more attractive pot that is large enough to put your Norfolk pine and the existing pot right inside it.
by Sherri on January 19, 2004 04:58 AM
Thanks Will! Placing it in the sun really will staighten it out? I turn it a little each day as I mist it, but it is in indirect light so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. One other factor is that I think my oldest daughter may be misting it when I'm out of the room. Should I place it into direct sunlight(when I can get it) until the lopsidedness evens out?

-
by Will Creed on January 20, 2004 03:35 AM
Sherri,

If the trunk itself is bent or curved, then nothing can straighten it out. If you tree had not been rotated and was growing toward the light, then turning it will get it to grow back in the other direction. However, that will take a long time. If it is just leaning such that the entire trunk is not perfectly vertical, then repositioning it in the pot is the remedy.

Misting will do no harm at all, no matter how many times per day.

If you can e-mail a photo to me that shows the lean that you are concerned about, then I can probably provide more specific help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Norfolk Pine| Next thread: norfolk pine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: