The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How best to know when to water

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by leelee on May 22, 2006 06:45 PM
Goodmorn,

I recently purchased a White Jasmine, 2 Moth Orchids and a Canela (can't find any info on this plant except it's native to China). I use my moisture meter and it has said for the past few weeks that the soil is moist to wet. I insert it down to the roots as instructed. Should I just insert it an inch or two in the soil? Clearly the top soil is dry. Help. How best to know when to water different kinds of plants?

Your assistance is appreciated. leelee
by Jiffymouse on May 23, 2006 11:14 AM
leelee, it really depends on the type of plant. i'm not really familiar with any of those, but i will tell you that i would never use a meter. unless you count my finger as a meeter.

true cacti i let dry completely, my peace lily i let dry slightly, and my calathia and ferns i don't let dry at all. does this help?
by JV on May 24, 2006 08:22 PM
I use a meter on all my Hibiscus so I don't over water them as I am bad at that. But since I now bottom water everything I just let the pan go dry for a day or so depending on time of year in summer keep some water in pans daily. I also put a touch of Apple wine venigar in my distilled water I use. Or if I use tap put the venigar in it let set for at least 24 hours before using.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: