The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

only compost when I plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Online sites to buy seeds/bulbs| Next thread: Only Orchids »
Back to Thread index
by hoa on October 10, 2005 11:24 PM
Last weekend I got some free compost from my city. I used them as is without any mixing for 1 hosta and 1 brunera peltatum. Would you think if it's too much of it can burn the roots?
Thank you.
by Jiffymouse on October 11, 2005 12:00 AM
proper compost shouldn't burn any plant. it is about the best soil you can get. but... be careful of free compost from municipalities, it tends to have pesticides and herbicides in it that you don't want near your plants. it would be better to let that sit for a year before using it. weezie will be along and she can tell you more about it!
by hoa on October 11, 2005 02:03 AM
Hi Jiffymouse,
Yes I have some second thought about this because I don't know what went into the compost. It could contaminate my garden of weeds or diseases. On the other hand here in Quebec it's forbidden to use pesticide.
By the way, my kids named our Yorkshire Jiffy and she is 11 years old. She is a dog but she is so much like their owners: She is so picky about eating. I never know another dog picky about food, do you.
by Jiffymouse on October 11, 2005 03:06 AM
i have had picky dogs... and my pomeranian is particular about how she gets her food! good luck with your garden

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Online sites to buy seeds/bulbs| Next thread: Only Orchids »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: