The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hare's Foot Fern dry and crispy at tips

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hardy to Zone...| Next thread: harlequin mix dahlia »
Back to Thread index
by dima on May 15, 2006 11:37 AM
Hello. I have a Hare's Foot Fern that I keep in a hanging basket in the corner of my room about ten feet opposite a pair of corner north- and east-facing windows. I mist it almost daily, and water about weekly (or whenever the soil is nearly dry at the surface) with Miracle Grow infused water. The plant is growing and looks healthy except that the tips of many leaves are dried and crispy. I used to keep it closer to the windows, but I moved it to its current location when I noticed the dried tips, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Are the dried tips due to too much light? Or am I under-watering? Or is it something else? Thanks for any help.

-dima
by phoenix on May 16, 2006 02:40 AM
Hello Dima,
Your fern will do best in the shadowless light of the north facing window. Keep the growing medium barely moist at all times. Established plants should be fedevery 6 months with standard houseplant fertilizer diluted to one half the minimum strength recomended on the label.

WHat type of soil/medium do you have the fern in?

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by dima on May 16, 2006 06:29 PM
I read that these plants prefer medium to low light, which is why I moved it to the corner, opposite the corner windows. You recommend more light? I thought the dry tips could have been caused by too much light.

I currently use Miracle Grow diluted to the maximum strength instructed on the bottle every time I water, which I will stop. When you say to feed it every six months, does that mean only one watering with Miracle Grow twice per year?

Thank you very much for your advice.

-dima
by dima on May 17, 2006 10:45 AM
Also, I don't know what the medium is, but it appears to be a dirt-type mixture with small spongy white balls. It's the original store-bought medium.

Thanks again for your help.

-dima

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hardy to Zone...| Next thread: harlequin mix dahlia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: