The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Brown spots on my bermuda grass

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Brown Spots on Leaves| Next thread: Brown Spring »
Back to Thread index
by MikeG on October 08, 2005 02:20 PM
Some have suggested using plugs and some have suggested using patches (fertilizer/mulch/seed mix) what do you guys suggest. I am newbie who just moved into this house.

-

-
by tkhooper on October 08, 2005 09:58 PM
I think maybe it's hard to come up with a solution when the cause is unknown. If you just moved in I would say that money is probably tight if so. Just take good care of it for the rest of this year and see if it recovers on its own.

Or if you like the quick fix and have the cash then just a plug or patch would make the quickest fix. Of course if there is an underlying reason for the brown spot it could reacur.

My assumption at the moment is that it got to dry or burned from weed killer or fertilizer being incorrectly applied. Sometimes people aren't as careful when they are moving out.

-
 -
by MikeG on October 09, 2005 05:38 AM
TK,

Thanks for your replies to all my threads.

I have not a clue abot the cause. I will apply the plug in a day or two.
by plants 'n pots on October 09, 2005 07:04 AM
Mike - our grass looks like that everywhere here this year because of the severe lack of rain. Have you had that there also?

Of course we're making up for it all in one day today - have never seen so much rain in one day!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by MikeG on October 09, 2005 07:25 AM
yes this has been a dry summer here in dallas
by afgreyparrot on October 09, 2005 07:29 AM
Mike...
What kind of grass is that?

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by MikeG on October 09, 2005 07:41 AM
bermuda. Thats all I know. Are there different types of bermuda?
by afgreyparrot on October 09, 2005 07:47 AM
I don't know! [Big Grin]
Actually, I don't know anything about grass! [Embarrassed]
It just looks different than what I have here...in Kentucky.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2005 02:34 AM
a plug or two is a quick fix, but, like tk said, without knowing the reason, you may be wasting money. what i would do, (knowing how bermuda grass grows) i would cut the damaged area up (garden shears, good investment) with a trowel and shears, and then put down some potting soil in the area. then cut a couple of plugs out of the bermuda that is already established (a sharp knife and a trowel) and put them in the potting soil. you should get that patch fixed up in no time. with minimal expense.
by catlover on October 10, 2005 11:00 AM
Burmuda....and that is what is in the brick planter as well.

Take a sturdy garden rake and rake up as much of the dead stuff as possible...being pretty rough and into the top soil with it....throw away the scrapings in the trash....or it will be like your brick bed where ever you put the scraps [Frown] ....then sprinkle a layer of compost in that area and water well....no time at all and it will be filled in. [thumb]

This year was the first time my burmuda/fescue(sp?) lawn has gotten so dry...(haven't felt good for awhile now)...so I've been doing the same thing.
[teacher] Keep control of burmuda!!!! Trust me!!!! [Roll Eyes] [Frown] [perplexed]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Brown Spots on Leaves| Next thread: Brown Spring »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: