The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My flowerbeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: My Fish Is Dead!| Next thread: My Food & Drinks page »
Back to Thread index
by MikeG on October 08, 2005 02:17 PM
Some of the plants in my flowerbeds are a mess. I need your opinion on whether I should try to save them or should I start over?

I don't know what kind of plant/flower this is

-

Should I try grass-be-gone on these?

-
by tkhooper on October 08, 2005 10:07 PM
Can you get clear close ups of your flowers? I don't see so well so it's hard to tell. I think some of those are miniature roses and if so they are kind of pricy. And I would always try and save a plant rather than just chuck it unless it were diseased to such a point it couldn't be saved.

First off, weed the flower bed. Get all the grass and weeds out of there. Second, see if you have an bugs and treat accordingly if you do. Then after identifing the different plants check their fall needs like if they need to be pruned in the fall or heavily mulched in order to make it through the winter.

If you can't get a better picture you might try taking a bloom from each type of flower and taking it to the garden center. They can probably identify it for you. While you are at the garden center get some plant spikes that you can write on so you can put identifiers need each type of plant. It's amazing how easy it is to forget which is which lol.

I also began a garden log with plant profiles for each thing in my garden. It helps a lot. That way I know what each type of plant wants as far as sun, soil, fertilizer, water and any special care needs.

Home ownership is a lot of work but the rewards are great.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2005 10:52 PM
quote:
Should I try grass-be-gone on these?

I'm with hooper...weed the flower bed...by hand. That looks like crab grass (?) but I can't tell for sure. [dunno]
Those roses are definitely worth saving! [grin] It wouldn't take but a few minutes to pull those weeds out...and you'd be surprised at the difference! Put a little mulch down and PRESTO! you've got a beautiful little flower bed happening there!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on October 09, 2005 03:01 AM
A hint about pulling weeds do it when it is wet. It is soooooo much easier. Weezie taught me that and she is so right. Or maybe I just like playing in the rain.

If those are the miniature roses I am going to be sooooooo envious.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 09, 2005 03:06 AM
They look to be roses to me too - from the leaves, anyway...

Great idea, TK!

You've gotten some great advice here, Mike!
Can't wait to see what it looks like after it's been cleaned up a bit!

Enjoy your new gardens, Mike... Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by MikeG on October 09, 2005 05:42 AM
Thanks a bunch for all the replies. I have got the same plant (with no flowers blooming currently) on both sides of my entry door. I will post a closer picture of the flower this afternoon to see if that helps to id them. I will also weed the beds and feed the plants after I know what they are and what they need. Thanks again.
by weezie13 on October 09, 2005 05:51 AM
quote:
A hint about pulling weeds do it when it is wet. It is soooooo much easier. Weezie taught me that and she is so right. Or maybe I just like playing in the rain.

Tammy's right on target, weeding when it's wet is sooooo much more easier than when it's dry out side... they come up so much easier.
and you can get most of the root even if it's a "runner~weed"....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MikeG on October 10, 2005 05:40 AM
Ok, here is a closer picture as I promissed. This sure is a rose.

-
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2005 07:48 AM
beautiful!
by tkhooper on October 11, 2005 11:42 PM
lucky lucky you Mike. Way to go! you have a raised bed of them around your tree and more up by your house.

OK, color me green with envy. I have one bush of the red miniature roses that I bought this year and seem to be doing well so far. I have my fingers crossed big time.

From what I've read you treat the miniature roses just like you would regular roses. They take a fair amount of care but I think they are sooooooo worth it.

I can't wait to see them when they are all in bloom that's going to be tremendous. Congrats MikeG.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Fish Is Dead!| Next thread: My Food & Drinks page »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: