The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

clivia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: clipping from a Epiphyllum oxypetalum| Next thread: clivia »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on January 06, 2004 03:09 PM
A friend sent me an e-mail this morning asking for help in growing a clivia. She wrote:

"Are you familiar with the plant Clivia? It's an expensive indoor plant around here. A friend gave me a "pod" from hers and we weren't sure whether you just plant the whole pod??"

Can anyone help us with this? [teacher] [dunno]

Thanks! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by plants 'n pots on January 06, 2004 03:10 PM
By the way... this friend has a greenhouse - a lean-to type that opens onto her diningroom...
I assume she would grow it in there during the winter?

-
 -
by Bill on January 06, 2004 04:21 PM
Hi Lynne,
The Kaffir Lily (Clivia miniata) is native to South Africa. They will not tolerate temperatures which drop much below 50 degrees F. so they are most commonly grown as house plants.

They should be grown in a bright but lightly shaded area and kept at between 65 and 75 degrees during their growing periods, but require a dormant time from October through January when they may be kept cooler (55 degrees) and watered only sparingly.

When new growth begins to emerge in early Spring, increase the night temperatures to 65 and begin to water thoroughly (but let the soil dry between waterings). Feed the Clivia monthly with a good house plant food and mist the plant occasionally during the growing season.

Clivias will bloom better and more consistently when they are pot bound. The seeds MUST be removed from the pods and planted while they are still fresh. Germination requires a soil temperature of 75 to 80 degrees F. and takes 30-40 days....

-

[teacher] more about Clivias here....

-
by plants 'n pots on January 07, 2004 03:56 PM
Thanks so much for the great information, Bill! [thumb]
I've forwarded it to my friend.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: clipping from a Epiphyllum oxypetalum| Next thread: clivia »