The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fungus Gnats!!! GAHHH!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Fungus Gnats| Next thread: fungus on lavender »
Back to Thread index
by NewtothePot on May 03, 2006 03:19 PM
I realize that I am referring to the Venus Fly Trap, but I think that this would be the best place to post this.

My brother just gave me his Venus Flytrap, because he was tired of it doing nothing. It is still in the pot and lid it came with, and he didn't give it any water, or anything. I opened it up and a few Gnats (i looked them up online, I think they are fungus knats) flew out! I tried to find them to keep them away from my other plants, but no luck. I closed the lid and placed the entire thing in a Ziplock bag, and I can see a small 'worm' (for lack of a better word) crawling in a trap! I am going to try and change the soil ASAP, but is there anything else I can do??? HELP!!!
by NewtothePot on May 03, 2006 03:24 PM
PS- Will they spread to my other plants!!!???
by SassyManal on May 05, 2006 03:58 AM
I put potato slices on my plant and they all went away. Try and leave them on for a couple of days. I am so happy mine are gone! gg
by loz on May 05, 2006 04:18 AM
They can spread to other plants.....they especially like wet soil.....so it's usually a good idea to try to let your plants dry out a bit. I hate when I get them in here, they are so hard to get rid of! [Razz]

Here's a link to some fungus gnat links....
fungus gnats
by NewtothePot on May 05, 2006 08:13 AM
I am going to try and change the soil and leave the infected plant outside for a little bit. Would that work, or should I also use the potato slices? Thanks for the replies!
by TomR on May 07, 2006 12:37 AM
Venus Flytraps MUST be kept wet. Do NOT allow it to dry out. Take the top off and set the plant in a shallow tray of water. It needs full sun and really should be outside. It needs winter dormancy as well.
Also don't feed the plant at all.

A Google search will teach you a lot, there are several excellent CP forums.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fungus Gnats| Next thread: fungus on lavender »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: