The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Confused plants?!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Confused Iris| Next thread: confused rosebushes... »
Back to Thread index
by slredmond on October 04, 2005 12:40 AM
We've had the strangest fall here (in MI) - weather still up in the 80's and my plants have gone goofy. My forsythia has actually started to flower - yep, several of those buds that formed to get ready for the Spring Spectacular are actually blooming. I have two clematis that are in bloom (supposed to be spring bloomers), and a medio variegata hosta is flowering its little self silly. Finally, some of the catkins on the weeping pussy willow are already opened and fuzzy. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the spring!

Sandy R.
by tamara on October 04, 2005 01:34 AM
I have a snow ball bush that's done the same. I am in zone 4 and it is blooming again on new shoots. This has never happened before.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Jiffymouse on October 04, 2005 02:14 AM
they'll be ok. that happens occassionaly here in the south, and they go dormant and behave themselves once the weather straightens out.
by RugbyHukr on October 04, 2005 02:32 AM
That happens all the time.

In WV the forsythia would flower every time the temperature got over 50 degrees after the 1st frost. We would get a few warm days throughout the winter & would have lovely yellow flowers. The maples will also pop buds if the warm spell is very long.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on October 04, 2005 02:41 AM
So far the flowers are doing ok. I on the other hand am very confused. I keep on wanting to start the spring planting now.
by papito on October 04, 2005 06:36 AM
Maybe Vernalization is a factor?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by slredmond on October 04, 2005 06:48 PM
I agree TK! I am in denial that we're in for five months of freeze. I have big plans for things that didn't get in the ground yet -- how dare we run out of summer!

Sandy R.
by Betty Boop on November 12, 2005 05:53 AM
I am new to gardening and have prepared several flower beds. Your'e right....the weather is warm for this time of year. Do I keep watering my plants? Or do I let them just settle in for the winter. I have mulched with cedar bark and cut them all back, but I keep wanting to water them. I am also real confused, because I don't know what to do for the winter....
by cinta on November 13, 2005 10:41 AM
I water when it stays warm and there is no rain for a week or two. We have been warm but we get a good rain shower at least once a week. This is a good time to re-seed your lawn also.

I have planted a lot of things. It has been very pleasant to plant the bulbs without feezing my fingers off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Confused Iris| Next thread: confused rosebushes... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: