The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

potting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Potting| Next thread: Potting »
Back to Thread index
by manx on September 30, 2005 07:13 PM
i have a large agarve americana in the garden which has grown to about 6 ft tall,it is now too big for thr garden and i want to pot it.how large a pot should i use and what is the best way to get it into the pot considering its size.thanks.

m.g.bloom
by Jiffymouse on October 02, 2005 02:07 AM
are you referring to agave americana? i'm not sure why you would have put it in the garden and how it would be too big for the garden, but you would have room for it in a pot. however, i'll do some checking, (i have an idea, but have to check on the root structure to make sure i am on track before i say anything) then i'll get back to you. in the meantime, maybe some one else will have a better answer for you!
by Cricket on October 02, 2005 06:08 PM
Hi Manx,

Do you wish to pot the agave to move it indoors or to an outdoor location it can't be in the ground?

Select a size pot not more than 2" larger than the rootball of the plant. If the rootball is too large, pruning might help. If I am mistaken, someone will be quick to correct but I think Agave Americana has rhizomes that are safe to prune and/or divide. Pot in a porous, well-drained soil.

Remember that watering requirements in a container will be different than in the ground. Let the top 1/3 of the soil dry out between thorough waterings.

If the plant is intended for indoors, first accimate it to lower indoor light levels by moving to shade for several weeks, then placing it in a sunny south or west facing window.

Hope this is of some help.

Cricket
by manx on October 15, 2005 05:01 AM
Thanks for the replies;firstly what are rhizones? ,the plant in question is now two thirds out of the ground and i am trying to access the best way to pot it!i dug a trench round it about foot and a half deep and its weight pushed it over;the root ball seem surprisingly small but i cannot see the center bottom as it is still under ground ,it has many small off shoots,stability in a pot could be a magor problem!what size ? i was considering 4 feet accross by 3 down ,is this big enough?i want to keep outside . thanks

m.g.bloom

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Potting| Next thread: Potting »
Back to Thread index