The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lifting Canna

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on September 30, 2005 02:25 AM
Mine are still flowering like there is no tomorrow. I know I planted them late this year. Should I just let them continue on like they are? They are in a concrete planter that is filled 2/3 of the way up with gravel and then has potting soil on top of that. I'm afraid that if I wait until they stop flowering I may catch an early frost and lose them entirely. I'm in zone 7a can someone advise me please.
by RottieLover on September 30, 2005 02:44 AM
Mine are in the ground and I will lift them after they die back in a few weeks. I may be wrong but I think you can leave yours in the planter till they die back also, you might even be able to leave them in there all winter. Someone will know better than I..
by BFVISION on September 30, 2005 06:50 AM
I am in zone 6 and need to watch carefully for frost warning news. Like you, mine are flowering like crazy. Stay tuned....

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by tkhooper on September 30, 2005 09:47 PM
I think my landlord may be out there with the miracle grow "forcing it to bloom" if so I'm probably going to loose the canna and the marigolds that are out there. He just won't listen to reason. If they were in the ground I would leave them but the container freezes pretty solid and I think that would kill them off. Well all I can do is hope for the best.

Thankyou for the information.
by Aunt B on October 01, 2005 01:29 AM
I think you can wait till the frost "knocks down" the stalk. Then just dig em out. A few light frosts shouldn't hurt the bulb.
by tkhooper on October 01, 2005 01:34 AM
Thanks aunt B, I hope you are right. With all the fertilizer he's been putting on them I think I'll be able to divide them and have lots and lots next year if I don't lose them during this time. I'm a new gardener and have never done anything like this so I worry a lot lol.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: