The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Picture of My Hibiscus and a question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Pelham Manor Cats on September 29, 2005 12:25 AM
Here is a picture of my hibiscus flower.

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Here is a picture of plants that my husband threw out the discription card. I forgot the name of it. Any one know? I remember a name
something like Cosmo.

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[kitty]
by RugbyHukr on September 29, 2005 12:47 AM
looks like a canna lily

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by RugbyHukr on September 29, 2005 12:48 AM
canna lily

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Pelham Manor Cats on September 29, 2005 02:15 AM
Okay, since we know it is a Canna Lily, can anyone answer this question:

I am in NY zone 6. I do remember the card (before my husband threw it away), saying that it will survive in 30 degree cold.

Does it have a bulb? If so, should I dig up the bulbs after it goes dormant into the ground and place it somewhere in my house and then replant it again in the spring? Or should I just leave it in the ground and cover it up with leaves and chips?

Any ideas??
by Jiffymouse on September 29, 2005 06:51 AM
yes it has a bulb, yes you should dig it up after it goes dormant, and yes it will come back next year! they will also get baby bulbs on the sides and you can separate them and plant them for more!
by mike57 on September 29, 2005 09:40 PM
[wayey] HI Pelham Manor Cats the best time to dig up cannas in your growing zone is after your first frost cut off all the foliage,dig them up and rinse all the soil off them let them dry indoors for a few days then store them indoors in a dark dry place with the temp about 50 degrees store them in a mesh bag.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Sorathien on September 30, 2005 02:05 AM
mesh bag with some wood shavings in there too, to absorb any moisture.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: