The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can indoor Cactii be acclimated to outdoors Texas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Nick F. on December 22, 2004 06:41 PM
Anyone have any experience doing this if it's possible?

I bought a bunch of Cactii in 2" pots a couple of months ago and I'd like to add to a desert "patch" in a part of my yard next to the driveway. I already have a Century plant, Aloe, and something that I believe is commonly called "Prickly Pear" that puts out these beautiful yellow blooms for one week in early spring. So these others...if they could adjust to the outdoors..would make awesome additions.

Then it got weird.
by catlover on December 22, 2004 08:06 PM
Look each type of cactii up before placing in ground to make sure they take full sun....and plant away....I am a cactophile and have at the very least 80 cactii/succulents etc. planted in the ground!!!! Just move them out slowly to acclimate to the sunny conditions or they will burn, look bad and possibly croak. Make sure the ground has quite a bit of sand....they do not like clay soil at all. I have decomposed granite, clay, no top soil and mega hard granite soil...(if you can call it that)...In my case I just dig up the area thoroughly and incorporated quite a bit of compost/soil(no sand because I already have the crushed granite) and planted away.
So to answer your question YES by all means you can plant in the ground!!! Remember I live in California so I am not sure what your weather is like...if it rains a lot make sure there is plenty of drainage. Also while looking up the info on full sun etc....look up how tall, wide etc. that cactus will eventually get so you don't have to go transplanting them again...when they are over 8 feet tall and towering over you with mega sharp stickers they are not fun to move....you will have to TRUST me on that one....been there done that! Might I also suggest good gloves, and newspaper help immensely!!!
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by catlover on December 22, 2004 08:10 PM
Oh yeah....please don't forget to update this thread with some pictures and progression pictures!...or if you have a photo link you can place it in the photo link topic Loz has set up in Banter!!! [thumb]
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Nick F. on December 22, 2004 11:48 PM
Thanks for your help!

Do you have any links you'd recommend in helping ID these critters?

And web hosting services that allow image uploads to display here...any recommendations there also?

Then it got weird.
by njoynit on December 23, 2004 05:31 AM
You have to be sure they can take the brief cold spells.I grow my aloe in ground in summer and it winters a few months in a pot.course will likely need to pot it in a wheel barrell next year.Its barely fittin the 3 gallon pot.I have a cholla typpe cacti and a few prickly pear varieties,one thats tender is up by house over wintering.Its sheltered and covered tonight.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by catlover on December 23, 2004 06:25 PM
Hi Nick...I have found Desert Tropicals to be a pretty good one for ID purposes....they have linked us a couple times for extended information. [thumb]

This link is in Banter listed under Photo Album Links and if you look through there is will give you a better idea what others are using. After you get them set up if you wouldn't mind you can place just your link in that post as well. [thumb] and you can place it in your signature part of your profile like hisgal and others do if you like!

Maybe since it gets sooo cold for some varieties maybe sinking some pots in the ground would work....then when you can move them to a warmer area during the winter you don't have to keep uprooting them and less risk getting bitten by the stickers. But when transferring back out after the cold period make sure to acclimate them slowly to the sun. Don't know if this is what others would do...but IF it were me I would plant them in pots the size the cactii would eventually get....again less transplanting/shock etc. I know some houseplants like to be kept rootbound before doing very well but I plant almost all of my semi shade cactii in bigger pots to avoid the transplanting/shock etc....and they seem to be doing just fine for me...at least in my case.
Or if you want a sure fire way to avoid moving plants to warmer areas constantly....you could always move to California. [grin] [Big Grin] Half the people on here are going to give me the [tongue] LOL
Hope this has helped...Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on December 24, 2004 04:20 AM
Since most cactus are outdoor plants - and very few from cool climates - it's very reasonable to expect success.

Actually, there are a few that do grow outdoors in rainy cool west Oregon, especially if kept in areas protected from excess rain.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: