The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Too Late To Trim Roses?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Angelfaery on September 23, 2005 02:30 AM
I have a couple of very old climbing rose bushes and both of them have problems. One has a bad case of black-spot and the other has some sort of powdery mildew. So I would like to do some heavy trimming (especially on the black-spot one) to get off all the diseased branches but I heard that you should not trim too close to fall/winter because the roses need to stop blooming and start getting ready for winter. Should I just leave them be and wait until spring?

Thanks!
by murphyette on September 23, 2005 03:06 AM
Well, if it were me, I would trim them now to get rid of the fungus. If the leaves fall to the ground, it can get in the soil, and come right back in the spring. I say trim it back and start spraying it with a fungacide.
Of course...I am no expert,and could be completely wrong.LOL

Jody
by mike57 on September 23, 2005 05:19 PM
[wayey] HI AngelFaery The best time to prune roses is the early fall or early spring.But in my opinion for your (GROWING ZONE) it would be best to prune them in the early spring.however i would remove all the leaves that have black spot on them by hand and rake up any that have fallen off and discard them into the trash.if they are heavily infested you may have to incorporate severe pruning with a fungicidal spray program.spray with a fungicidal spray made for black spot and other diseases.if you do decide to prune them it might damage the plants even further.but if you decide to prune them make sure you seal all the pruned stalks with candle wax this will lessen the damage that may be caused by pruning them now.if you decided to prune them cut any infested and damaged branches out.cut your roses back to a nice looking shape don't cut them back to heavy just enough to get past the diseased portion.a light pruning is all that is required for climbing roses leave all the main branches as long as possible also trim branches in the center of the plant so more air can circulate it will help make your roses healthy and help prevent mildew.mulch them down with a good layer of pine straw.only water them in the morning time during the growing season.here is a of site that will help you on pruning your climbing roses.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/pruningroses.htm
hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by weezie13 on September 25, 2005 12:06 PM
quote:
however i would remove all the leaves that have black spot on them by hand and rake up any that have fallen off and discard them into the trash.
That's what I would do first, like Mike said..

and keep it airy... and water only during the early hours of the morning, no late nights for
this one...

I had boughten a rose, that had some black spots on it, and even though I knew better not to buy one, you'd end up with headaches..

But I followed planting it, the correct way,
and kept ever bit of leave up off the ground
and would just pull the leaves off that were
yellowed with the black spots... but I didn't ever cut it this late...

But come spring, open the middle up and give it
some air in it's center section.. and don't let
the leaves stay under the plant....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Angelfaery on September 27, 2005 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I will do as you say and just pick off the leaves.

Thanks!
by weezie13 on September 27, 2005 01:10 AM
Also, come spring time, keep the mulches on the light side under the plant, and only morning
waterings, and don't get the leaves wet..
*only mother nature should do that*

Also, I use Epsom Salts on my plants,
scratched into the ground around the drip line
of the plant...Once a month, for my growing zone,
the rule of thumb is, May 1st, June 1st, July 1st,
and August 1st.. NOTHING AFTER AUGUST...

And for powdery mildew, keep the plant open and airy when pruning... and there's a mixture of like 1 to 10 of baking soda and water, and you can spray it on, as a foliar feed to kill the mildew..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Patty S on October 02, 2005 03:52 PM
I'm pretty new at gardening outside the veggie patch, but have recently discovered some beautiful plant life called FLOWERS! In fact, we bought a house, & a normal yard came with it... & in that yard there were 21 rose bushes (4 varieties)! All I can tell you about your rose problems, is I've learned this year & what has worked for me.

I ran across a product called VF-11 Plant Food, & this is what it says about roses:
"You will be so pleased with the abundance
of blooms!! Foliar Feed your roses once a week
Hose-end sprayer is ideal...one ounce VF-11 to a gallon water. Morning sun is ideal time to spray roses. If you keep up this routine, on a weekly basis, you will have another lovely surprise.... no aphids and no mildew!!!! Let me explain why....VF-11 builds so much strength and health that plant cells 'harden' and 'seal in' the amino acids which aphids feed on. You have merely eliminated their food supply. And you have done it without the use of poisonous systemic or pesticides. Pretty nice...huh? And mildew is eliminated because VF-11 changes the pH and creates a condition where mildew can not grow."

I tried this stuff, & LOVE IT! So far, everything it claims to do, IT HAS DONE! [clappy] I've used it on all my roses for Black Spot, aphid & powdery mildew with success that I hadn't achieved with any other applications. I even accepted a potted rose from a friend (like I NEED another rose bush! [Frown] )& it had black spot BAD - nearly EVERY leaf! I almost stripped the bush bare; took it out of the pot (threw the dirt & the pot in the trash to be taken to the dump); ruthlessly washed the roots (thinking that I might shock it to death, but that's only 1 step away from black spot anyway, in my view!); sprayed the roots with undiluted VH-11 (It also claims to be a substitute for Root-Tone); & re-potted it. I sprayed & watered it with VF-11 (ONLY) for about 2 weeks, then sat back & watched it become the healthiest rose bush I have!

I don't believe it makes sense to rely on ANY application to fight Black Spot without first stripping off EVERY infected leaf, AND thoroughly removing any fallen leaves/bark/twigs from under the bush! (I use my shop vac.) Otherwise, your time & money are about as effective as shoveling snow in a blizzard! Another thing I've learned about rose bushes, as Mike57 mentioned, is that they do need good circulation throughout, so don't let them get too bushy in the middle. (Maybe you aren't supposed to, but I cut mine back where they start touching the house [keeps bugs outdoors where they belong] & when they start getting too full... They don't seem to mind the trim, at all!)

-
 -
by Patty S on October 02, 2005 04:22 PM
P.S. Don't be discouraged (after having nearly stripped your rose bush bare-naked by picking off every black spotted leaf), if Black Spot seems to "reappear" on some of the leaves that were left on. (& I wouldn't recommend picking off EVERY LEAF, because without any foliage, the plant has little hope of absorbing the light & other nutrients. I've stripped MANY huge bushes down to less than 20 leaves, in my mad rage over Black Spot, & they came back gorgeous in a short time... I think they were thrilled to be rid of their illness & were eager to be 'really alive'!) The "recurring" Black Spot is simply the disease that was already present in a leaf structure, but didn't previously demonstrate the symptom. Just pick them off... I can almost guarantee that you will have little-to-none reappear with symptoms after the "2nd pick-off". (Be faithful with the VF-11 spraying, because the disease that causes Black Spot will remain in the soil for an undetermined length of time.)

-
 -
by angelblossom on October 03, 2005 09:29 AM
SOOOOO Glad I read this section can Eleanor VF-11 plant food be bought in most nurserys??? [angel] [clappy]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Patty S on October 04, 2005 12:06 AM
Angelblossom, as far as I know it's not stocked at Nurseries yet.

-
 -
by Angelfaery on October 05, 2005 04:47 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info! I will definately look into VH-11!

21 rose bushes?!! And I thought I was going crazy with just 3!! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: