The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

confused about prunning roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Confused about my soil testing| Next thread: confused azaleas »
Back to Thread index
by linda12159 on November 30, 2004 06:54 PM
i can't remember which garden show i was watching......yes i can....it was rebecca's gardening. anyway, i've always thought when prunning my roses to produce another bud you clip at a 45 degree angle, above a 5 leaf cluster. she said to simpy clip the spent bud......
help.....Linda
by Bill on November 30, 2004 07:35 PM
The reason for snipping at a 45 degree angle is to prevent water from collecting on the cut.
I've always believed the old "rule of thumb" that cutting at a five leaf cluster produced bigger and better roses.
My mom taught me that and it works well so I never saw a reason to change my thinking on the subject...
Rose Pruning Basics

-
by linda12159 on December 01, 2004 05:16 PM
Thanks Bill, The only reason i questioned it is because i always prune that way......but i never seem to get another bloom. Could be something i'm doing wrong. Does it have to be the first 5 cluster, or any as long as its above a 5 cluster.
Thanks Linda
by weezie13 on December 01, 2004 05:51 PM
quote:
Does it have to be the first 5 cluster, or any as long as its above a 5 cluster.

I think it really depends on the type of rose???
I am not rose person....I've always heard it's the first,
but it should be the first one pointing outward, you never want to have a new stem growing into the bush, always out!!!
So, if that first one pointing out doesn't happen until 5 or 6 junctions down, than that's the one.

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by linda12159 on December 01, 2004 06:00 PM
I should clarify....i meant, 5 leaf cluster......sorry!!
Linda
by weezie13 on December 01, 2004 06:21 PM
I knew whatchya meant!
I read/type so fast and my fingers are so
slow somedays, I type the same way!!
No problem!!!

Hey Linda,
Can I ask what you do for your roses?
ie; type of soil, and how you prepare your holes for plants?
ie; when you fertilize, if you do, and what kind..
**ie; when and how you fertilize??

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by linda12159 on December 05, 2004 05:43 PM
Hi Weezie, well here's the thing.....I have 2 rose bushes on south wall of house. They were here when I got here. But they're about, ummmm....I think atleast 20 yrs. old. Not sure what kind they are. Anyway, I've been trying to get to know them, I use miracle grow in the spring, as for the soil....that area has pea rock over it....ugh!!!! I plan on removing it. So I don't know about the soil. They don't get a blanket in the winter. My boyfriend has lived here for 28 yrs., he says he's never covered them in winter. (bad boy), well I'm just as guilty!! I cut them down in winter. Neighbor recommended that. One plant has white blooms with reddish streaks, the other red. The white one I'm lucky to get 3 flowers a year. The red gets more, but blooms just once no matter how I prune to encourage more. Its a perfect area for them......Nice warm south sun.....I know I should be doing more for them? I tend to shy away from stuff if I'm not confident in what I'm doing. And as much as I've researched, well you can get so much different info that you become more confused.......Any info would be wonderful, if I've left anything out....feel free to ask me!!
Thank You, Linda
by weezie13 on December 06, 2004 09:06 PM
Linda,
Come spring time, this is what I do for my roses.

In the spring for my roses', I find some new soil, *in a bag from a store or from somewhere's else on the property) and throw it on the base of the rose bush...cover it up... leave it...
Then March or April depending on weather and snow here... Come about late April if spring is going go and alright, I will cut off all of the dead branches from the winter...(Just below where brown meets green, trim on the green part. First five leave cluster pointing out)
Scratch the pea gravel back to where the drip line of the plant will be in the middle of summer..then get some Epsom's Salt and then I take a couple of tablespoons per heigth of the rose bush...and sprinkle it around the dripline of the rose bush, and scratch it into the soil with one of those hand scratcher tools,
I have no idea what they are called, a cultivater maybe?? [dunno] They have 3 or 4 tines???

And scratch that in, now you can wait for it to rain or water it in with a watering can or hose..
And I personally do my schedule, just so I remember and can't really forget, the first of every month of May, June, July and August....
That's for my growing zone of 5. You've got to be something similar in a growing zone like me?????

Never fertilize your plants earlier than May and never~ever past the very begining of August....
In our upper wintery climate, it makes the new growth very suseptiable to being still green and growing when it should going to sleep for the winter time...

Then come the new red canes peaking thru the dirt below, gentley, ever so gentley, pull back the fresh dirt you thru on top..... and there should be fresh new red canes growing from the base of the bush, from under the dirt or on old stem...

I personally don't use too many chemicals on my plants, hardly any chemical fertilizers except Shultz Plus 10~60~10 for moving and transplant shock and that's about it really..
I like the feritlizer's better, like compost, Blood Meal and Bone Meal, scratch those into the soil good, and cover some, you may have dogs sniffing it... [Roll Eyes] and I like fish emulsion too!!!

But that should get your plants a good boost of organic stuff, don't do it toooo heavy, especially if you haven't touched them in 20 years. Go slow...

You should see some blooms on them this coming year...

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by barleychown on December 06, 2004 09:26 PM
You can also try feeding them alfalfa, either pellets (my favorite) or the powder...that is ALL I fed all of my roses this year, and they all seemed to love it! [grin]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by linda12159 on December 07, 2004 05:09 PM
Thank you!! That sounds like a an easy plan. When you say drip line...
do you mean.....um....what do you mean? lol!! Also, there's always one cane thats thick and produces nothing, won't that take from the rest of the plant? Yes, I'm in zone 5a.
thank you, Linda
by weezie13 on December 07, 2004 07:30 PM
Linda,
When standing looking at your rose in the spring and it's a stick, envision, what the plant looked like last year and how big (appox).........
The size/height of the plant when the leaves were all filled out and it looked nice....

Keep that mental picture.......

The drip line on ANY PLANT is when the plant is in full leaves, and picture it raining or you're watering with a hose right on top of the plant,
the water rolls off the plant/leaves and drips down to the ground/soil/dirt.....

The plant will send it's tiny feeder roots into the end of that area, so when it rains it can get the water/nutrients right there....
So, if you've scratched in epsom salts right there, it'll also activate the crystal form
(almost looks like salt) and it'll dissolve....
with the rain and hose waterings)

Most mature roses' drip lines would be about
12" to 18" maybe, *I am really rotten at judging distances, I just eyeball it [Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed] )
Also, a climbing rose maybe way bigger than that.
Miniatures are probably about 6" to 10"????????

Don't scratch too deep, your just incorporating the dry stuff with the dirt...ya don't want to damage any roots too close to the surface.....

I got a small recloseable bag from Wally~World last year, *Plus a 100lb* bag of it from my husbands' work....but on the smaller bag from W~M, it had alot of directions for what it can be put on....
I presonally use it for my roses' and tomatoes and peppers...
What it does is something to the effect providing magnesium to the soil/plant and the plant uses it as an easier way to use the nutrients in the soil and the other nutrients you may supply..
Helps the plant utilize the good stuff..
Especially in tomatoes when and if there's a calcium deficiency, it'll allow the roots to suck up stuff better like...
(that of course is the un~scientific version [dunno] [Big Grin] )

And it'll will help produce beautiful new red canes on your rose bush...From the lower half of your plant and not always from the stem or pre~existing stems that get littler and littler up the stem....

quote:
Also, there's always one cane thats thick and produces nothing, won't that take from the rest of the plant?
I am not a total rose person, so, I would have to say, ........... could be a few things....
if it's not producing anything, I might say, cut it off....
But then again, if it's green and healthy, I'd say
maybe for the first year, leave it and see what the empsom salts and organic fertilizer's do for you and the plant...and a good hair cut at the same time on the dead branches, may just get it kick started???
Without seeing the actual rose, I personally hesitate what to do???
Gotta picture????

Maybe come spring and you can get a picture,
dig this thread backup and post it and we can all take a peak at the big cane and help you then!!!

Weezie

***AND BARLEY, GREAT ADVICE ON THE ALFALFA!!! [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by barleychown on December 12, 2004 05:26 AM
"there's always one cane thats thick and produces nothing"

Sounds like it could be a sucker cane...do you know what those are? [dunno]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Confused about my soil testing| Next thread: confused azaleas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: