The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting hardy mums, any tips?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Planting glads| Next thread: planting in my water hole »
Back to Thread index
by 'Sparagus on September 21, 2005 10:16 PM
Hi! I bought what are supposedly hardy mums, and Im wondering if anyone has advice on getting them to survive the winter and come back next year.

I am planning on planting them in an area of FULL sun. The soil is [dunno] probably not great...but well drained.

Anyway, I dream of nurturing these all next summer for a beautiful reward next fall! Id love for them to last for years and get huge! (am I expecting too much??)

Thanks!!

-Karen [wayey]
by tkhooper on September 21, 2005 10:26 PM
Hey Karen. After they are done flowering you have to mulch them heavily to try and overwinter them outside. I wouldn't know what else to do. But I wish you the best of luck with your garden.
by murphyette on September 23, 2005 03:08 AM
I wouldn't worry too much, they are called hardy Mums for a reason. Pretty tough plants. Cutting them back and tossing some mulch over them is probably enough. Heck...I don't even toss mulch over mine, I just cut them back.

Jody
by alankhart on September 23, 2005 09:46 PM
Mums have shallow root systems, so they definitely need a good layer of loose mulch in colder areas. You don't want to mulch heavy over the crown or it may rot. Some books say you shouldn't cut them back until the next spring when you start to see new growth at the base, but I'm not sure how this helps.

-
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 24, 2005 04:56 AM
Hi Karen ~

When I first starting growing these at our house, I was told by a master gardener that by the time they are sold here in the fall it's too late to get the roots fully established for our winters, so the best thing is to set them in the ground IN THEIR POTS for the first winter. When everything thaws out in the spring and you start to see some green in the pots, you can dig them out and take them out of the pots and plant directly in the ground. I did this for my first 6 mums, and they lasted several years, before I let them go without pruning. I finally pulled them out last year.

Also, prune them twice once they start growing so they don't get too tall and floppy by the time they bloom. The first time should be in June when they are about 6-8 inches - they will bush out better that way, and the last time should be between July 4th and 15th.

You can take the cuttings and root them and have many many many more plants to grow or share. I gave so many plants away the second summer - everyone loved them!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Planting glads| Next thread: planting in my water hole »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: