The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lots more random questions......

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lost Roses| Next thread: Lots of Stray Branches »
Back to Thread index
by mycateatspiderplants on April 12, 2006 09:56 AM
WANDERING JEW: why does the stems of my wandering jew always shrivel and die near dirt level? i heard they like to dry out before watering so i make sure they do and keep them out of super bright light... whats happening?

ROOT BOUND SWEDISH IVY: what do i do? repot or cut some root?

HENS n' CHICKS: stay small and stretch upward, bottom 'leaves' closest to soil turn brown/die?

PHILODENDRON: green and healthy looking but not growing or spreading- have had for a long long time?

ROOT ROT? any way to save a palm (not sure if thats what it actually is- long spindley trunk taller than me, spiderplant like leaves at very top but tougher. anyhow, it was not cared for and it looks healthy but i think most of the roots rotted- i cut off dead, hollow, mushy roots and left what ever was okay looking- can it still make it? what should i do- its in miricle grow brand potting soil.

TROUT LEAFED BEGONIA: over 16 yrs old- cant get to flower- seems healthy and happy w/ access to sun plenty of h20...?

XMAS CACTUS: just given to me with droopy top leaves no new growth. what do they like as far as water and light?

[kitty]

saving one pet wont change the world, but surely the world will change for that one pet....
by JV on April 12, 2006 02:32 PM
mycateatspiderplants
Welocme to the forum. Down here in Texas wondering jew is a weed didn't know you could kill it. No matter how dry it is they grow even when (if) we get rain the do well. As for your Hen and chicks and christmas cactus I seldom water mine when I do I bottom water the are desert plants so don't require a lot of water. MIne keep growing and putting on new leaves. Mine are on my covedred porch on east side of house get morning sun. Hen and Chicks get sun just about all day. Hope this helps you some.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by RugbyHukr on April 12, 2006 10:06 PM
PHILODENDRON is a slow grower

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by DowntoEarth on April 13, 2006 05:29 AM
[wavey]

Yes, the wondering jew does like to pretty much dry between waterings, maybe it's staying too dry for too long? [dunno]
If the rest of the stem is green up past the soil level with some green leaves, you can probably pull the stems out that this happens to and cut into the healthy from the bottom and re-plant them down into the soil an inch or two to re-root.

You can re-pot your Swedish ivy up one pot size, if you don't want to go bigger, you can either root prune and keep in the same pot, or take stem cuttings, or cut the plant down or in half, give the other section away or have two.

Not sure about your "palm" could also be a dracaena [dunno] if the leaves are stiff maybe. If you did get all the rot, it should be ok with the right watering (let dry between waterings) and the right light (indirect) Re-rotting a shorter stem or air layer is an option. I think if you cut the stem back, I believe new leaves will grow below the cut.

For the begonia, maybe it needs some fresh soil? Or try a high middle number with your fertilizer, use only half strength.

If the Christmas cactus does not have any root rot (droopy leaves). Give a real long drink and let it get real close to dry before watering again. Bright indirect light is fine.

Susan
by Dianna on April 19, 2006 12:34 AM
Hi, I am new here.

I have not learned how to start out with new question, so I am putting it in here.
I am trying to find a picture of a bromeliad that is this name Aechmea fasciata ( urn plant )? And some information on how to care for it.
I tryed to post a hello when I signed on and did not see where to add post at...guess I am not too smart about this yet, but I will try looking around again soon,
thanks for helping me out ..oh something else, at some point I checked UBB code is enabled is that what is suppose to be checked.. or HTML? but where do I go to change it back to HTML?

thanks

Dianna

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lost Roses| Next thread: Lots of Stray Branches »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: