The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Early alliums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Eagles| Next thread: early daffodils! »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on November 29, 2004 07:13 AM
In October, I planted a container of assorted ornamental allium bulbs in layers on my patio, which is sheltered under a deck, thinking that I'd have some spring color. Many have already poked through the soil and are about an inch high. Isn't it much too early for them to begin growing? Am I going to lose them over the winter?? We haven't yet had a hard frost (my snapdragons are still blooming). Any advice would be appreciated.
by weezie13 on November 29, 2004 07:39 AM
Hi Cricket,
What growing zone are you again??

I have my chives that grow here, and they don't die back in the winter [dunno] they kinda stay under the snow, then come spring time, even though the green that was poking up when snow fell, and that stuff has since died, they again poke up thru the dirt...

So, maybe, what it's doing is, you planted them, they are establishing their roots, it sent up some green to get some extra "food" for it's bulb and that'll die back eventually and as long as the bulb is sufficiently covered for snow time, and not exposed to the winter temps and winds,
I would think it should be okay????

I also have types of grape hyacinths that do that, spring to life with green grass like growth in the fall/winter time and then come up fresh in the spring....

I would definately keep the container/pot under your porch and out of the eliments and wind...
Wind is usually the killer of most plants, when they "heave" out of the dirt and are exposed...
Do you have access to chopped leaves, some extra mulch or anything you can wrap around the base of the container to cut down the chill...????

But I'm pretty certain, as the alliums are very hardy breed and should survive very nicely!!!

And of course, don't forget our update... [critic] Come spring time... and let us know how they did...that's how we all learn from do's and don'ts of gardening!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Cricket on November 29, 2004 10:08 AM
Thanks, Weezie for the prompt reply.

I'm in zone 8 (I'm unsure if it is 8a or 8b).

I planted the alliums as spring bulbs - the packages said they would bloom from April-June(depending on the bulb), so I thought they would probably poke out of the soil in February, similar to crocuses, daffs and tulips.

We don't usually get much snow (maybe a few days at most) but LOTS of rain!!!

The container is in a corner under the deck next to the house, in a southern exposure, so is protected from the worst winds.

I've only been on the island for 3 years and am not yet too familiar with what will and won't grow here. But it's delightful to discover the joys of winter gardening - I'm originally from the prairies where the only things that grow in the winter are icicles and SNOWMEN!!
by weezie13 on November 29, 2004 04:16 PM
Cricket,
By zone you grow and how you say your winters
are, I doubt you should have a problem.......
With being so mild in all!!!
And you've got the pot it sounds in a pretty
good place.

quote:
I'm originally from the prairies where the only things that grow in the winter are icicles and SNOWMEN!!

Those grow TOO WELL here!!! [Big Grin] [Frown] [Razz] [scaredy] [tears]

I gotta ask now, with all this talk about the alliums,
what color's did you get?????
I love the yellow one's!!! Of course I like the pink and purple one's too and of course [Roll Eyes] the white as well!!!! [Big Grin]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by alankhart on November 30, 2004 12:13 AM
Several ornamental alliums grow foliage in the fall, so don't worry...it's normal. Mine are up and growing as well here in zone 7 and they do this every fall. Dutch Irises and Grape Hyacinths also grow foliage in the fall.

-
 -
 -
by Cricket on November 30, 2004 10:05 AM
Weezie, I planted purple, yellow, and white ones. Oh, and a couple of "Ivory Queens" that look like balls of fluff!

Thanks, Alan, for the reassurance!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Eagles| Next thread: early daffodils! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: