The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

English Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy »
Back to Thread index
by Paula on November 15, 2004 10:26 AM
I'm going to be planting English Ivy along the side of a large, 8 foot high cement slab. I'd like it to grow up the side of the slab. Do I need to install edging to keep it from spreading to the lawn and to insure that it grows up?
by hisgal2 on November 17, 2004 06:40 PM
Personal opinion here...

I think it will grow out into the lawn no matter what you put up. That stuff is invasive! Are you talking about the black plastic edging?? Because I have the ivy on a hill on one side of my front steps and periwinkle on the other side. Well, this summer I realized that somehow the ivy figuredout how to get past the steps and now it is choking out my periwinkle. I'm not really sure how it got over there. It is hard stuff to get rid of once it grows also.

Is the concrete slab a structural thing?? Because the ivy will find any cracks in it and just rip it apart. That is why its a bad thing to have it grow up the side of a house. It can rip out the mortor. Anyways...I'm sure someone else will be along to give another answer to your question. Perhaps there is another type of plant you can grow on the slab???

-
 -

-
by mike57 on December 02, 2004 09:42 PM
the edgeing will work just make sure to trim any that starts hanging over the edgeing as it will take root.if this a free standing wall it will look great but you would not let it grow on your home it will take over unless you keep it trimed up. it makes a great ground cover for those hard to mowe places like hill sides. but watch out it will climb trees and take them over also it makes trees top heavy to. if you dont keep it cut back. try it if it gets out of hand there always roundup. lol

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by hisgal2 on December 06, 2004 04:57 AM
I agree about the tree! We have a 90 foot tall pine and its half way up the trunk right now. However, I've found that round-up does not do anything to ivy. Ivy is known for having a defense system. You can even try burning it and it won't kill it. It just turns on it's defense system, goes into hybernation, and then comes back when you least expect it! [shocked]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: