The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need help with my Anthurium!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Millabit on April 06, 2006 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this and not a very experienced gardener, but I really hope someone can help.

I was given a potted Anthurium about a month ago. It looked pretty good, apart from a few of the leaves being a bit brown and dry looking at the tips. It had several glossy flowers, and loads of leaves, so I didn't think it was a serious problem. So I nipped off the brown leaves, repotted it in regular peaty potting soil and put it on our balcony. Having done a little research I realise that was probably a mistake, as the balcony gets sun from midday right through the evening (I live in Southern Spain, so we get a fair amount of sun).

The leaves have progressively grown browner, and the now the flowers are also browning. New leaves that are appearing are also browning. Initially the leaves just turn brown but after a week or so they start to shrivel up as well. The brown patches are dry to the touch and do not rub off.

I do not think I am overwatering.

Thinking that the problem might be contagious I have isolated the plant, and it now only receives indirect daylight. However, the problem seems to be getting worse. My other plants are not showing any symptons.

Does anyone know what the problem could be - is it a disease?

I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Cheers,
Camilla
by margaret e. pell on April 06, 2006 09:00 PM
http://www.oglesbytc.com/culture-anthurium.html

I found this site googling around for info. Other sites with less info are more specific about VERY little to no direct sun. Hope this helps.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Millabit on April 06, 2006 09:20 PM
Thanks alot - initially I thought it might be some sort of disease or blight, but now I've done a search on the Xanthomonas blight I do think it's due to excessive sunlight. I'll move it inside out of direct sunlight, change the potting soil to a more porous mix and hope for the best. What has me puzzled is that it was already suffering from brown leaves when I got it from a garden centre, just not as badly as it is now - but maybe the garden centre were giving it too much light as well...

Thanks for your input!
by joclyn on April 07, 2006 10:09 AM
they need to be kept evenly moist at all times - or you'll see the leaf tips brown up.
by Millabit on April 07, 2006 02:33 PM
I wonder if I've actually been underwatering in my fear of overwatering????? Aaaaarrrrghhhhh.....I'm finding it pretty difficult to identify the problem. I'm pretty confident it's not the xanthomonas blight, I haven't seen any watersoaked lesions, which seems to be the main symptom. But it's not just the leaves and flowers that are browning, on one of the flowers the little stamen (I'm sure that's not the correct term, but you know what I mean!) that sticks up out of the flower is brown too, from the tip to about halfway down...and on some of the leaves the stems below the leaves are brown too...
Any other ideas, folks? All replies are greatly appreciated!
by ShirlS on April 09, 2006 12:06 AM
Hi Millabit

I have an Anthurium, which I ended up getting a baby from this spring. Mine, flowers pretty much continually. I have found that the plant's leaves will turn brown, if the temp fluctuates to much in it's environment. Also this is a high humidity plant, so setting the pot on some pebbles with water may be helpful to you( or daily misting). I let mine dry out to the touch between waterings, and provide it with bright light but NOT direct sunlight. I grow it indoors, and it does very well. Cut off the dead stuff with sharp scissors. I think you just gave it a nice sunburn.

Good luck with this!

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Millabit on April 10, 2006 02:23 PM
Hi ShirlS,

Thanks, I think you are right. The plant has been indoors for 4-5 days now, and I don't think it has gotten any worse in that time. I will follow your recommendations and hope for the best.
by ShirlS on April 11, 2006 11:34 AM
You are more than welcome! Glad to hear your plant is doing better.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by joclyn on April 16, 2006 12:41 AM
oh! that's right, i'd forgotten about the light requirements!! definitely not in direct light! it'll burn.

shirl is right tho - it does need bright indirect light.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: