The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Holly bush question!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by hydrangea on September 15, 2005 04:04 AM
I recently moved into a house & there's a big holly bush. About 6 feet tall & about 4 feet wide.
My husband and I liked the leaves of it & were hoping that it will berry in the winter time. But we hated the unruly size! So we cut it down to almost 2 feet tall and all around it. Do you think it will grow back? If we keep up with the pruning, will it be a more shapely plant or is it beyond hope?
Thanks!
by userjh160 on September 15, 2005 10:52 PM
I dont know if it will grow back or not, but if it doesnt let me know. We have two huge trees in our front yard -- I can get you some seeds. The berries right now are green, we have only lived here a short while so I dont know when they change their color,but there are lots of them. I had a ton of holly trees under the trees growing, but had to get rid of them, cuz they hurt when you walk around barefoot. We have shaped our trees and they seem to be holding with little attention.
by mike57 on September 16, 2005 02:34 AM
[wayey] HI hydrangea Did you leave any foliage on it if so it should grow back but it will take awhile here is some information on when to trim them back.Winter and spring are the best times to prune Holly. Lots of people trim their holly around Christmas time and use the cuttings in holiday arrangements.Others don't prune until spring.
that's when holly will start putting on new growth.do not prune in the summer or fall as this might damage the plant due to the heat of summer if you do it in the fall it will be baron for a longer period of time till new growth starts.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by WCutler on September 30, 2005 11:49 PM
Some hollies are male and female needing two plants to produce berries so you may need to identify the type of holly you have.

Active Garden Forum