The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

NEED HELP

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: need help!!| Next thread: Need Help.......... »
Back to Thread index
by suzydaze on September 13, 2005 01:50 AM
I need help with my banana tree, got one back last fall, babied it all winter put it out in the yard come spring, now...it's too big to move indoors.

I live in zone 7 and see these in other peoples yards, what do I need to do to it to winter it over in the yard?

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by obywan59 on September 13, 2005 02:30 AM
If you have one of the hardier bananas, you can winter them over in the ground. (Do you know the variety name?). After first frost, the leaves will freeze, turn brown and die. Wait till harder frosts turn the pseudostem to mush. After the pseudostem is totally frozen, cut the stalk down to within a few inches of the ground. Pile a foot or more of loose, dry leaves over the stem and a foot beyond in all directions. Dry oak leaves or even straw are excellent. On top of this place an old blanket, sheet, or insulating garden fabric. Anchor each corner. You may also pile more leaves on top of the blanket.

You could also dig down at the outer edge of the clump and remove one of the smaller suckers (if it has any) with roots attached to bring indoors overwinter.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by suzydaze on September 13, 2005 02:53 AM
thanks I'll try that. It doesn't snow here much any more. we got like one snow last year and only a couple inches. And have very few frost days now. Our first frist is suppose to be oct 23

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by mike57 on September 13, 2005 06:06 AM
[wayey] HI suzydaze I live in zone 7 also i cut the leaves off my banana trees and dig them up and wash all the dirt off the roots then store them in my basement where it stays fairly warm in a cardboard box.then replant them in the spring that way they will grow bigger each year.mine put on babies each year so i devide them come spring.and they do great.this is just a alternative to leaving them in the ground.Terry is right if you plan on leaving them out for the winter.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by suzydaze on September 15, 2005 12:58 AM
do you water them? or just let the roots dry out?

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by mike57 on September 16, 2005 08:31 AM
HI suzydaze I just let them go dry.the stalks hold moister in them.i leave the roots on them.then come spring just dig a nice size hole for them then replant it takes a coulpe of weeks to start seeing new leaves come on but they do great and the banana tree will be bigger each year.yourfriend in gardening. mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: need help!!| Next thread: Need Help.......... »
Back to Thread index