The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! My houseplants need humidity.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by greenut on April 02, 2006 10:39 AM
I have manyyyy houseplants and I water and care for them as much as I can but the house is too dry even with a small humidifier running. I have made it so that most of my hanging planters drain into plastic catchers underneath and my pots do not drain at all in most cases so that my greatroom solarium stays as humid as possible but it is still dryyy. What else can I do and not have mildew growing on the walls. [gabby]
by Will Creed on April 02, 2006 12:25 PM
Hi greenut,

The importance of maintaining high humidity for most houseplants is greatly exaggerated. There are a few rain forest species that do not perform well without high humidity, but those plants are hard to find for that very reason. The commonly available houseplants are popular because they are able to withstand very low humidity even though there origin is often from humid climates. Many plants are able to compensate for low humidity by absorbing more water through their roots.

I suggest that you not worry so much about humidity, but if you insist, humidifiers and pebble trays are the best ways to increase humidity.
by carnivorousplantsarecool on April 03, 2006 07:50 AM
Have you tried using a terrarium? That should help keep the humidity up. That could be a problem if the plants are too big though.
by TomR on April 04, 2006 08:37 AM
What plants do you have and do you have a hydrometer (humidity gauge) to see just what the humidity is in the room the plants are in? Some more info would be helpful.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: