The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet Potato

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Sweet Pickles| Next thread: Sweet Potato Casserole (easy) »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on November 14, 2004 06:06 AM
I started this experiment a couple of months back. My sister in law passed this along to me-she got it from her sister in law's neighbor. [gabby] Needless to say, I've got something growing (I think) and now I'm a little concerned about the proper care for it. She told me to put a sweet potato out on the counter until it had ears (eyes?), then submerge it in water until roots grew, and then plant it for a nice plant with flowers. I just planted it today in a hanging basket. It had good roots, and a couple of green/purple shoots-1 of which is long enough to stick out of the soil (is this the plant?) I need help please! [Eek!]
by afgreyparrot on November 14, 2004 06:18 AM
I never planted mine in potting soil...just left it in water. I had vines all over my kitchen from one before I knew it! [Big Grin]

It will probably do GREAT in soil, but someone else here can probably tell you for sure.

Cindy

P.S.
I just bought a big bag of potting soil today...

...and I have some sweet potatoes....
[shocked] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by rozy221 on November 15, 2004 01:44 AM
I probably would have been better off leaving it in water-my 3yr old decided i guess that it looked a little dry. I can't even guess how much water he put in there-it's still draining out the bottom every time i pick it up, and this is hours later! [scaredy] So that purple/green thing is the plant then, right? I had a couple of them (still small) growing, but just from one end of the potato-will they grow from all over? This is exciting. I love propagating things so this is like a great science project for me! How long did it take for yours to get real viney? Thanks for your help! [wayey]
by afgreyparrot on November 15, 2004 02:03 AM
I'm sure it will be fine after the water drains.
quote:
So that purple/green thing is the plant then, right?
Yep. I used to plant mine in a big iced tea glass full of water. I'd stick toothpicks (3 of them) around the potato to rest on top of the glass to hold half of the potato out of the water.

Believe me, if they grow in soil as fast as they grow in water, you will have a BIG plant in a few weeks! I've had vines 20' long around my kitchen! [Big Grin]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on November 15, 2004 03:35 AM
Hi Rozy ~

I just posted some pictures a few days ago of some sweet potatoes that I grew from a store bought one. I cut it into thirds and stuck them into pots of soil with just the very tops sticking out. Before very long, I had 3-4 shoots growing from each piece. In the end, 2 of them grew into really nice plants on my deck this past summer, and I harvested some potatoes just the other day.

my sweet potato pictures

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by afgreyparrot on November 15, 2004 03:44 AM
Have you eaten any of them yet, Lynne?

Yummmmmmm!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by rozy221 on November 15, 2004 06:32 AM
Wow Lynne! Those look fantastic! [flower] I can't believe all those potatoes came from 2/3 of a sweet potato! That is so cool! [muggs] How did you know when to harvest them? I'm starting to think I did something a little wrong tho, after reading these posts. I had my potato on it's side, lengthwise i guess, not on it's tip (vertically). And that's the way I planted it. I kind of had to cuz the majority of the roots were coming from the shoots. I can't wait to see what happens. Maybe by the time it fills out, I'll find my webcam to share some pics. [thinker] Wish me luck! [wayey]
by afgreyparrot on November 15, 2004 02:39 PM
I doubt if it makes any difference that you planted the potato on the side. I just put mine up (vertical) because it fits in a big glass that way, and I can stick the toothpicks in the sides to hold part of it out of the water.

Don't worry...it'll grow! [thumb]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on November 15, 2004 02:46 PM
I also don't think it makes much difference how you orient the potato. Since I had cut mine into 1/3s, I put them flat side facing up and the shoots found their way to the top. I think after Thanksgiving I'll try potting one up for indoor vines and see what happens.

I harvested them when they were calling for an overnight frost that night - didn't want to chance losing what might be in the soil, plus I was cleaning up the deck for winter. [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sweet Pickles| Next thread: Sweet Potato Casserole (easy) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: