The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

planting orchids

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: planting lilacs| Next thread: Planting Petunias »
Back to Thread index
by Sorathien on April 01, 2006 02:48 PM
since most orchids are epiphytic, would it be possible to use some wire or fishing line to attach an orchid to a piece of wood if i were going to keep it in a terrarium where it would stay nice and moist? once i find homes for my hermit crabs, i plan on turning their old 20g fish tank into a terrarium with my cattleya orchid and some other plants, and i was thinking it would be cool to get a piece of wood to go through the center of the tank with the orchids atached to it, with the other plants growing below it.
by CatherineC on April 26, 2006 05:05 PM
yes, it is very possible to do this... it is called mounting.... alot of orchids are sold and kept in this fashion....
the tricky part is keeping mounted orchids thriving in a terrarium.... they need humidity, but, 90 percent or better humidity like in most terrariums, usually is not good.... also, they do need a bit of air movement which is hard to get in a terrarium and still keep a balance...
the lighting part can be tough as well.... check out tropiflora or black jungle for plants more suited for a terrarium environment....
thank you

JUST STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: planting lilacs| Next thread: Planting Petunias »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: