The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plumeria email?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: plumeria drooping| Next thread: Plumeria Help »
Back to Thread index
by catlover on November 11, 2004 10:29 PM
A few years ago, a friend moved out of the country and gave me two lovely plumeria plants. I have kept them on my patio for the past few years and they are doing beautifully. For the past two winters I was able to move the pots into my garage and store them there through the winter. But now the plants are too tall and heavy and the span of the branches is too wide for them to be brought into the garage. That is due to the layout of my yard. The only gates and doorways that lead to the garage are too narrow and the plumeria won't fit through. It is possible that I will have to leave them outside through the winter. I grew up in NY and my Italian immigrant grandparents used to wrap their fig trees so that they would survive the NY winter. Is it possible to similarly wrap a plumeria plant? I think they wrapped each branch and then wrapped the entire plant in something like burlap. Have you ever heard of any such method being used for plumeria? Would they then have to be wrapped in plastic as an outer covering? Might there then be some sort of mold or other moisture damage? I know it is time to get the plumeria protected, so I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you for any information you can offer. Sincerely, Terri

I forgot to tell you that I live in Houston, TX. Thanks!

-
 -
 -
by jalbertog on November 26, 2004 07:12 AM
I have grown plumeria's for several years. I have grown them both in pots and in the ground. When the temperatures beging to get in the high thirties (do not wait for a freexe), I cut the leves off about a inch from the stems. That way, they do not loose much of their white sap. Eventually they turn brown and fall off. I put them in the greenhouse or any protected area where they do no freeze. You do not have to worry about light as thet go domant during this period. Do not water unless the srtems look like they are shriveling up and then only water lightly. The main thing is to protect them from freezing. When it warms up in the spring, take them out and begon watering.
I would not leave them in the ground and wrap them, especially if the soil tends to stay wet. The one I plant in the ground, I just cut around them and leave a small root ball, I lift them up and put them where they will be protected for the winter. You can put them in a garage or closet if you want, once they drie out. The worse thing you can do in the winter is to keep them wet.

JAG

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: plumeria drooping| Next thread: Plumeria Help »
Back to Thread index