The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please help, my Money Tree is sick.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Please help! I need grass advice.| Next thread: PLEASE HELP FAST »
Back to Thread index
by Lena626 on March 30, 2006 11:01 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Yelena, I am a new gardener from Chicago area. I love plants although don't have much experience or knowledge in their care.
I've had my Money Tree plant( botanical name Pachira) for about two years, it had been growing beautifully until a little while ago. Recently its leaves started to loose color, became yellow with dry brown ends. The plant is standing right by the window facing north, I water it once in two weeks when the top layer of the soil gets dry.
It is so very frustrating to watch it getting sick and I have no clue what to do.
Your advice will be very much appreciated.
Yelena.
by penny in ontario on March 30, 2006 11:38 PM
[wavey] Hi there,

Welcome to the Forum,

sorry i am no good with tree;s but i am sure there will be someone along soon to help,

-
 -

-
by Merme on March 31, 2006 01:30 AM
Hi Lena ~

I will ask a hostess to move this post to a forum where you will be sure to have your question seen.

Welcome to the forum!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by mrsmessy on March 31, 2006 02:15 AM
Welcome to the forum Yelena [wavey]

I've seen lots of info about money plants down in the House Plants section. You might want to take a look down there for what's available or post a question there. You will find lots of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Again, welcome, and enjoy. [thumb]

-
Bev
by afgreyparrot on March 31, 2006 03:24 AM
Hi, Yelena! [wavey]
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure someone will come along and be able to help you with your money tree.

Nice to meet you!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Will Creed on March 31, 2006 11:47 AM
Hi Lena,

As a physician you will understand when I ask you to provide a more detailed description of the symptoms. Are only lower leaves or also upper (new) leaves yellowing? Likewise, the browning of tips?

Can you tell us the height of the plant and the size of its container? Does the container have drainage holes?

Is your local tap water on the hard side? Do you use fertilizer?

Is there anything else that has changed in your Pachira's environment in recent months?

A photo would help.

Will Creed
Interior landscaper
by Lena626 on March 31, 2006 01:48 PM
Thank you for your reply.
Here is the History of Present Illness.
Almost all the leaves on my Money Tree are slowly turning yellow on the bottom as well as on the top, some of them with dry brown tips. The growth of new leaves slowed down. I tried to stimulate growth by cutting the branches, but it did not work at all, maybe I cut them in the wrong places.
The plant is three feet tall, it is in the 12 inch plastic pot without a hole, but with a special draining system at the bottom.
Our tap water is likely on the harder side.
Six months ago I moved to another house, and eventhough my previous home had much more light,the tree had been thriving at the new place until recently.
Past Medical History.
About a year ago my tree also had a problem, kind of similar symptoms - yellowing and dropping the leaves. I did not know what to do and just in case stopped fertilizing. It was a good guess, because as soon as I did - all symptoms resolved. I did not fertilize ever since.
Thank you again for your time and desire to help. Waiting for your assessment and treatment plan.
Yelena.
by Will Creed on April 01, 2006 04:46 AM
Hi Yelena,

More questions and a few comments.

Are leaves yellowing throughout the plant, including new leaves? Are the new leaves getting brown tips?

What is the nature of the "special draining system?" This could be very important, so please be as specific as possible.

How far down does the soil dry out in between waterings?

Pruning will only change the location of the new growth, but it will not stimulate new growth.

If your water is hard, switch to filtered or distilled.

Plants often do not respond to change right away. It may be that the relocation of six months ago is just now starting to take its (visible) toll. Would you say that it gets more or less light in its new location compared to its old location?

Will
by Lena626 on April 02, 2006 04:35 PM
Thank you, Will, for your comments.
The tree has very few new leaves, they are still quite small and not turning yellow yet. Most bottom leaves loosing color and becoming pale. Some leaves throughout(both large and small) turn yellow with brown ends.
I don't remember exactly how the drainage system works. Most likely the pot has two bottoms with some space in between, upper bottom has wholes through wich water is draining.
Usually top two inches of soil gets dry between watering.
I beleive that tree received more light in my previous home.
by Will Creed on April 03, 2006 05:16 AM
Hi Yelena,

The reduction in light may be part of the problem and so might the double-bottomed pot. It is possible that the lower roots are rotting out because the soil is staying too soggy. There is no way I can tell from here without examining it.

Wish I could be more specific and more definitive, but without a photo or a housecall, I cannot.

I hope this helps somewhat.
by Lena626 on April 03, 2006 11:32 AM
Hi Will,
I am moving to a new home again next month. I'll try to place the tree in a well lighted area and repot it to a ceramic pot with a draining whole.
Thank you again.
by Will Creed on April 04, 2006 07:15 AM
Your welcome, Yelena. Now can I ask you about this small growth on my...!

Good luck with your move!
by Lena626 on April 04, 2006 10:39 AM
Will,
I wanted to send you a picture of my Pachira, but unfortunately my digital camera broke down. Can I send it later? Hopefully the tree still will be alive.
by Will Creed on April 04, 2006 10:59 AM
Yelena,

Later is fine. Email it to me at wcreed@Horticulturalhelp.com
by dodge on April 05, 2006 07:44 AM
If your talking about the MONEY PLANT THAT GETS THE LITTLE COINS ON IT.
i HAVE THAT ONE AND IT IS A PERENNIAL, WHICH DOES GET THE BROWN LEAVES, UNTIL WARM WEATHER ARRIVES.. YOU STILL HAVE COLD JUST LIKE ZONE 6.
GIVE IT ANOTHER MONTH..I DONT WATER OUTDOOR PLANTS IN THE SPRING.

[flower] [flower]
DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Will Creed on April 05, 2006 09:01 AM
Dodge - I think you are thinking of Lunaria, which is also called money plant, but is an entirely different species.
by dodge on April 05, 2006 09:12 AM
Oh ...ok.

I was wrong then.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Lena626 on April 05, 2006 10:28 AM
I think we are talking about different plants. The Money Tree (botanical name Pachira) has no coins on it. It's got this name since it suppose to bring a good fortune.
Thank you anyway for trying to help.
Yelena.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Please help! I need grass advice.| Next thread: PLEASE HELP FAST »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: