The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

avacado

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Autumn Sedum| Next thread: avacado »
Back to Thread index
by Tulip on March 28, 2006 07:55 AM
So today I started an avacado plant . Had anyone else had success with this kind of plant? I stuck the toothpicks in and they are colored and now the water is.. should I get different ones? I heard you shouldnt change the water while the pitt is in water...

~Tulip~
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 28, 2006 08:59 AM
You should change the water once in a while because if you dont the water will become depleated of oxygen which isnt good. Also Stagnant water promotes algea growth. I have one rooting now and thats the method im using. Good luck with the alvacado

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Amy R. on March 28, 2006 09:42 AM
Another way you can germinate an avocado pit is to wrap it in a wet paper towel, place it in a plastic bag, and put it in a warm spot, like a windowsill, for a couple of weeks. Just make sure the towel stays moist, and before you know it, you'll have a germinated pit that you can place directly into a pot of soil. I've found this works quicker than anything else. Either way, good luck with your pit!
by Tulip on March 29, 2006 08:41 AM
what about the dye from the color of the toothpicks? is that going to matter?

~Tulip~
by Amy R. on March 29, 2006 09:31 AM
Oh, whoops! No one answered your question, sorry. I would say probably not, but just to err on the side of caution, why not get some natural toothpicks and change the water?
by stace672 on March 30, 2006 06:46 AM
So, can you use just any pit from a store bought avacado? My husband and I have tried a couple of times to germinate a pit, without success.

Stephanie
by Amy R. on March 30, 2006 09:11 AM
Yeah, use any pit you want! Keep in mind that avos grown indoors will most likely not bear fruit, though. I have a friend who just throws her out into her garden, and they sprout up all the time.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Autumn Sedum| Next thread: avacado »
Back to Thread index