The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plants on e-bay?!?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardeningmomma on March 27, 2006 01:53 AM
Not sure if this correct place to put this post....
I was wondering if anyone has had success with plants they've purchased on e-bay. I've bought clothing items from e-bay but am a little lery of buying plants.
Thanks for your comments. [Wink]
by Amany on March 27, 2006 04:43 AM
Some people on another plant forum I visit have. The majority of them seemed pleased.
by gardeningmomma on March 27, 2006 08:36 AM
Thank you for your quick reply [Wink]
maybe I'll wait a few weeks until it gets a little warmer over here in NY. Hopefully it will warm up quickly...
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 27, 2006 08:46 AM
I've seen the plants on E-bau and they seem healthy from the pictures.

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by FlowerNewbie on March 29, 2006 12:26 AM
I've bought quite a few av's from ebay... and am pleased... I'd try to look for listing that offer replacements on money back if the plant does not come as pictured or is severly damaged in packing... 2 out of like 12 were pretty bad but they just sent me another one and they were better than the one in the first pics...

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by gomerp618 on March 29, 2006 08:42 PM
I've purchased several plants on eBay. I've even had some shipped airmail from Germany.

You can get a good laugh too when you see people list a plant as rare and have the price jacked up. Most of the time they are plants that I can go a mile down the street and buy 10 of them! One guy even had a wandering jew listed as rare.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by SassyBamaMom on March 29, 2006 08:44 PM
does anyone have a good seller to check out they recommend? I have bought seeds form there they have grown
by SassyBamaMom on March 29, 2006 08:46 PM
oh and i forgot to add i have a question how do they ship the live plants?
by Amany on March 29, 2006 09:18 PM
I just ordered a pineapple mint and a chocolate mint plant. I'll fill you in when they arrive. :-)
by gardeningmomma on March 30, 2006 11:13 AM
I'm interested in air plants. I haven't found a good supplier in my area so I thought about e-bay. I think I'll wait until May though- wouldn't want to risk a frost getting them!
Thanks,
Gail
by Amany on March 31, 2006 10:17 PM
I got my pineapple mint and chocolate mint plants yesterday. They were in great condition. I couldn't be more pleased. the seller had a pretty high feedback rating.

That's another thing to pay attention to when you're buying anything on Ebay. Look at the feedback rating and some of the comments left by other buyers. I'm usually pretty comfortable buying from a seller who has 97% or above and hasn't had a string of recent negatives. On Ebay, you can see how many negatives a seller has accumulated in the past month, six months and year.

Good luck to you!
by Amany on March 31, 2006 10:23 PM
Oh, and to answer your question about how my plants were shipped...

Mine were shipped in 3" plastic pots. They were side ways in the box encircled by cardboard and then surrounded by padding. They had somehow even managed to put some take around the rim of the rims of the pots to prevent as much soil spill as possible. But the take was not touching the leaves. But not everyone sends plants that way. Some are rooted cuttings.
A really nice lady on another forum sent me a bunch of cuttings. She wrapped the roots loosely in wet paper towel and slipped them into ziplock bags. She place them all in a box filled with styrofoam peanuts.
by SassyBamaMom on March 31, 2006 10:29 PM
who do you recommend on ebay
by gardeningmomma on April 01, 2006 10:13 AM
I've always looked at the ratings of sellers on e-bay, put now find myself reading about how they package the plant. I only want to purchase from people who realise that plants are living things and need to be treated as such. Thanks for the valuable info.
Gail [wavey]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: