The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tulips

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Tulips| Next thread: Tulips? Whaddya' do with 'em . . . »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on September 02, 2005 09:47 PM
i bought some tulips with my 5year old and was wondering where and when to plant the bulbs. It says blooms early spring. i was wondering were would be the best place to plant? full sun / partial shade. does that mean which ever i choose , sun or some shade? danielle [flower]

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by alankhart on September 03, 2005 02:39 AM
They can be planted anytime up until the ground freezes. You can keep them in the refrigerator if you don't want to plant them right away. Tulips require a long period of cold temperatures to bloom, usually at least 12 weeks. Tulips prefer full sun, but you can plant them under deciduous trees since the trees usually won't leaf out until after the tulips have bloomed.

-
 -
 -
by Bids on September 03, 2005 03:30 AM
I have just planted my first batch of tulips, I planted them in the beginning of Autumn.
It is now Spring here and they are about 25cm high.
I have planted them were they only get morning sun and no afternoon sun as i believe the afternoon sun will scorch them. Then they will wither up!(and die)
I have planted them in the same position I planted my Japanese Anenomes(which r beginning to flower beautifully i might add)
So i don't know about the States but here and in Tulips are a shade plant.
Hope this was of use

[Smile]

Lack of space never stopped a serious gardener.
by Shani on September 03, 2005 01:32 PM
I Just bought some tulips today to plant for next years, though I'm not sure how well thet'll do ans they are in a mostly shaded area. I know they're suppose to be in sun but our neighbours had some so I figured can't hurt to try, after all it was only a package of 5

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tulips| Next thread: Tulips? Whaddya' do with 'em . . . »
Back to Thread index