The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bending Dragon Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Beloved Philodendron Selloum| Next thread: BER or Worms? »
Back to Thread index
by Medon on March 21, 2006 10:38 AM
I was wondering how I could train this tree to bend, I saw on another site that u could...but it didnt say how so any1 with info plz help me with this very tough predicament... [grin]

-Jon Boyenga
by RumBum on March 24, 2006 01:23 AM
I don't know what a Dragon Tree is but...I think most plants that look "bent" are done by placing a grow light to the side of the plant, since plants grow toward the light your tree should start to bend. If you want it to curl then as the plant grows you keep moving the light around the plant. If you already have a mature plant I don't know how well it would work.
by angelblossom on March 24, 2006 10:43 AM
Rum bum ......here is a pic of my dragon Tree I'm not sure why one would want to bend it tho' I do however turn it a quarter turn once a week just so it doesn't 'lean towards the light Maybe that's why???
 -
 -

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Medon on March 24, 2006 12:19 PM
ur plants r very big and beautiful
and u bend Dragon Trees to make them braid themselves lol its much prettier if u didnt kno

-Jon Boyenga
by Cricket on March 24, 2006 12:30 PM
Medon, is your goal a braided or twisted trunk?
by Medon on March 24, 2006 12:55 PM
braided

-Jon Boyenga
by angelblossom on March 25, 2006 03:49 AM
Medon... OHHHH [thinker] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Maybe should start with 'baby ones' and begin upon potting by manipulating them manually by tying and training I wouldn't know about a more mature plant [dunno] But I bet there is someone here who may! [gabby] [gabby]

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 25, 2006 06:35 AM
Wow angelblossom i've never seen a more beautiful ponytial palm. mines about a yearr onld and hasnt worked up to the trunck part its just a base. How did u get such lush growth?

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by angelblossom on March 25, 2006 07:07 AM
Garden Guy [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I've had the pony tail palm for 26 years it started as a baby too, I just water it and leave it alone fertilize it once in the spring with miracle grow and thats it,, It's been in the same pot for the last 10 years and in the south window but not close to window,, I have two of them I got at the same time but this one has grown bigger out of the two.

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 27, 2006 06:05 AM
ok thancks for the tip. No wonder yours is so much bigger then mine! [Big Grin]

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Medon on March 27, 2006 10:48 AM
umm...my dracaena is a baby right now its about a foot tall should i start tieing it or something?

-Jon Boyenga
by Will Creed on March 30, 2006 09:41 AM
Hi Medon,

To braid a Dracaena or any other species, you have to start 3 or 4 small plants together in the same pot. While they are still flexible, you strip off the lower leave and start the braiding. Use a plastic tie to hold the braid in place. As the plants grow taller, strip more of the lower leaves off and continue to braid further up. Repeat, Repeat, etc.

Let me know if this is not clear.
by Medon on April 04, 2006 05:08 AM
tyvm will creed that is very helpful...
thats the problem i only have 1...o well im just gonna get 3 more ;D

-Jon Boyenga

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Beloved Philodendron Selloum| Next thread: BER or Worms? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: