The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Good VInes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: good soil for growing fruit| Next thread: goodies.... »
Back to Thread index
by FRITO on October 28, 2004 04:56 AM
Hello,

Im looking for a fast growing and dense vine to grow on my lattice fencing. I want it to be neat and tidy like those vines you see growing on buildings and are neatly trimmed around windows. I want a WALL of green.... nothing dangling off the lattice fence. Its doesnt have to have flowers. I just wnat something that grows fast and spreads like crazy that will take shade.

Im using it a privacy fence type thing.

Can anyone direct me to a certain vine?

Thanks, Luke
by gardenmom32210 on October 28, 2004 02:56 PM
Here is a spot that lists vines,growing requirements and problems associated with them.

Vine info

Hope this helps!

G-Mom [grin]
by FRITO on October 29, 2004 12:09 AM
thanks G-Mom! [kissies]

the Climbing Fig or Ficus pumila is exactly what I had described.

Luke
by Newt on October 31, 2004 10:07 AM
Gardenmom,

Great site! Hope you don't mind if I use it from time to time.

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by shalimar on November 02, 2004 03:35 PM
The Virginia creeper is the fastest growing vine I know, but if you want your fence to be evergreen, why not also grow Ivies in-between? These do form a dense mat of foliage and if you want added interest, you can alternate with green and variegated Ivies.

Every six feet or so, if you plant a Clematis Montana and a Honeysuckle, you will end up with a very pretty fragrant fence! Which should keep your neighbours happy as the flowers will show at the top...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: good soil for growing fruit| Next thread: goodies.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: