The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dragon Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tulip on March 14, 2006 12:27 PM
I just got a small dragon tree.. can anyone tell me about them and how to take care of them?

~Tulip~
by Cricket on March 14, 2006 03:12 PM
Is it a Dracaena marginata you have? If so, marginatas do best in bright indirect light, such as in a north or east facing window.

Water thoroughly when the top 1/4 of soil is dry. If you have hard tap water, consider using filtered or distilled water as buildup of excess mineral salts frequently results in brown leaf tips.

Like most houseplants marginatas prefer to be a little rootbound.
by Tulip on March 17, 2006 10:10 AM
yes thats exactly what I have! Thanks! You say they like to be root bound? so I shouldnt give it a new home until I need to? And the water here is loaded with calcium..Ill use the filtered water on it.. I guess I should use filtered water for the other plants aswell then? Thanks for your help!

~Tulip~
by Cricket on March 17, 2006 04:28 PM
You got it, Tulip! [thumb] Best to leave Marginatas rootbound as long as possible and not disturb their delicate roots.

Some plants are more susceptible to minerals in hard water than others but if it isn't too great an effort or expense, all your plants will be happy drinking filtered water. [muggs]
by Medon on March 21, 2006 10:34 AM

-Jon Boyenga

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: