The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

mums?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Mum Questions| Next thread: mums »
Back to Thread index
by MissJamie on August 20, 2005 10:08 AM
hey ya'll! I have a question. ok I want some mums and I got some white and yellow ones at walmart today (only $1.92!!!) and some of the one's they had, had the spent blooms cut off and there where only green sticks and leaves left without flowers. would those bloom again this year? also what do I do to take care of my mums this year so they'll come back next year? I bought a mum last year and it died [Roll Eyes] any hints/tips would be appreciated! thanks sooo much [kissies]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Meg on August 20, 2005 11:23 AM
Yes, if you pinch off the spent blooms, more will eventually grow. I had gotten some of those from walmart last year too, and they also bit the dust. But the ones I bought at Southern States did well, and they are nice & bushy right now, hopefully to get the blooms soon. I guess the thing is to make sure you buy the ones that say "hardy garden mums", I think they should overwinter ok. I just mulched around them for the winter.. but not a whole whole lot. They will turn brown & crispy after they are done for the year.. looking dead.. but you can leave that, and then, later on snip the dead sticks back some, and in the spring, new growth will come up from the bottom.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by alankhart on August 20, 2005 09:08 PM
Whether the ones that were cut off will bloom this year depends on how long your growing season is. They say the last day to stop pinching them back is July 15, but I have removed buds as late as the beginning of August and got blooms in November before the frost. Hardy mums require good drainage, especially in winter. They also have shallow roots, so they need regular watering until established.

-
 -
 -
by MissJamie on August 21, 2005 06:42 AM
ok great! thanks!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mum Questions| Next thread: mums »
Back to Thread index