The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pruning words

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pruning Wegelia| Next thread: Pruning yew (taxus baccata) »
Back to Thread index
by Myrna on March 09, 2006 10:56 PM
I bought a book Encyclopedia of plant care, very informative. [clappy] However, They say to "pinch out" but there isn't a definition of what this really means. [Roll Eyes] Am I really suppose to pinch the branch, or does this refer to some pruning tool that will pinch it? [dunno] thanks

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 11:08 PM
I pinch with my fingernails it's easier for me than using garden shears for little tip pruning which is what I'm assuming they are talking about.

That's where you take off the very end of a branch where the new leaves are forming in order to get the plant to branch more. Does that sound like what your book is talking about?

-
 -
by Myrna on March 09, 2006 11:37 PM
yes, thank you it was referring to a poinsettia, i have one from Christmas and would like to keep for next year. it said to pinch the new branches in April. Now I understand. So I just pinch the tips of the branches?

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by Will Creed on March 10, 2006 06:11 AM
TK has properly defined pinching for you. However, I want to take issue with your plant encyclopedia. As with most plants, pruning (cutting off a portion of a stem or stems) is more appropriate than pinching.

Following a Poinsettia's flowering period, you will probably observe that some new green-leaf growth is emerging in one or more places on the lower portions of the stems. It is best to prune each stem back to a point just above the lowest new-growth point on the stem. This will leave the Poinsettia looking a little sparse initially, however Poinsettias are rapid growers and will soon fill out. The aim here is to have a shorter more compact plant with lots of healthy new growth that will grow through the spring and summer.

I have written an article on year-round Poinsettia care that I will send to anyone who sends a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Will Creed
Indoor landscaper
NYC

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pruning Wegelia| Next thread: Pruning yew (taxus baccata) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: