The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

fuschia hanging baskets

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: fuschia cuttings| Next thread: Fuschia's and Mealy Bugs »
Back to Thread index
by princessazlea on October 14, 2004 03:03 PM
Hi, can anybody help please. I have a fuschia hanging basket and I would like to know, when it is frosty outside, is it best to keep it indoors?
Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by alankhart on October 14, 2004 09:27 PM
Fuschias are not hardy, so they won't survive the frost. The main problem with keeping them indoors is that they make a mess when the flowers fall off.

-
 -
 -
by sidheblooms on October 15, 2004 05:59 AM
ahhh...the hardships of putting plants down for the winter...too bad hey? too cold outside..and this time of year, i wish i could bring them indoors too. but alas..i have only so much room. its a shame, because i know that those plants in particular are soo lovely and colorful, even though i agree that fuschias are quite messy.

but if you do have a good spot, like a covered porch, let it live out its days for sure!its a good idea when ever moving a plant inside to wash them well..to make sure no bibits find their way into your home for a warm place to mate for the winter.

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by duckie on October 15, 2004 06:45 AM
Welcome P. A.

nice to meetcha [wayey]
I don't know where Manchester is.
I live in Mo.zone 5.I've had fushia in baskets for years.They are so pretty,and the hummingbirds love them.

What I do when it gets to about 50 degrees at night, is get them in THE HOUSE.
If they look good with healthy leaves and blooms then I just enjoy them.When they start looking droopy.That's the time to prune them back.Cut them back 2/3.The new blooms only come back on the new growth anyway.Keep them watered.Once a week at least.
[flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by duckie on October 15, 2004 06:56 AM
me again P A.Fushias are very prone to whitefly.
They look like little gnats flying around the soil.
I'm an organic gardener....so here is a really easy way to wipe them out.Cover the exposed soil with cinnamon.It really works!!

Welcome again, [flower] [flower] [flower]

Shari

-
 -
by princessazlea on October 17, 2004 09:31 PM
Hi Many Thanks for your replies I really appreciate it, as I am new to gardening and I have'nt a clue. Message for (duckie) I Live in Manchester (England) [wayey]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fuschia cuttings| Next thread: Fuschia's and Mealy Bugs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: