The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Target had Orchids on sale

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tall Primrose| Next thread: tarspot in holly »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 02:57 AM
If I had 8 arms like an octopus I would have bought one. As it was I had one in my cart before I figured out that there was no way I'd be able to get it home in tact with everything I still needed to do.

Well someday I'll get an orchid for my house. Just not today.

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 08, 2006 07:01 AM
HAha..yup i hav an orchid..theyre great and interesting lookg. and the flowers r soo pretty mine just finished flowereing a couple weeks ago and is already putting up 2 new flowering stems

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Ivy9 on March 09, 2006 12:07 AM
I have moth orchid . It finished flowering, very pretty. I cut the stem all the way down. Now it is putting out a new leaf but not a flowering stem [dunno]
by ShirlS on March 09, 2006 12:35 AM
I have a Phalaenopsis which I cut the stem off after blooming also. Seems we are supposed to leave it and maybe a new set of buds will form.

I have gotten new leaves also but no flower shoot.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 12:49 AM
I'll keep that in mind. Someday I'll try growing one. I'm just plan old chicken. Cluck cluck.

-
 -
by connie mounsey on March 10, 2006 08:22 PM
I have bought several orchids for a dollar or two at Lowes. They just can't get $25 for an orchid with no blooms on it. If you are going to buy an orchid on clearance you need to make sure the roots are still alive. If the roots are shriveled and brown or mushy then you need to pass on that orchid. A healthy orchids roots are nice and plump.

Without faith life has no meaning.
by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 09:26 PM
Thankyou for that information. Glad I didn't buy the one at target because they were definitely dry and brown. I'll watch that very carefully when I look at them. I would sure like to have one but they seem to be hard to care for.

-
 -
by connie mounsey on March 13, 2006 07:49 PM
They are a lot easier to care for than you think. If you can keep African Violets and they bloom for you then you can keep the easier orchids.

Without faith life has no meaning.
by CatherineC on April 26, 2006 05:41 PM
i have checked out what target sells, orchid-wise.... not exactly the best choice to get an orchid....
also, after the flowers die on the phal flower spike, you cut the spike at the first node going back down the spike from where the flowers were.... sometimes they will re-flower on the spike, sometimes not....

JUST STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
by tkhooper on April 26, 2006 11:49 PM
I'm never been successful with african violets. Not only do they not bloom they die rather quickly.

-
 -
by joclyn on April 27, 2006 07:12 AM
african violets need decent light and to be ketp consistantly moist. i've always had them - off and on over the years. i only got blooms when i lived in one apartment - i had the plants in a west facing window and they grew well and bloomed often.

now i've got a plant stand with a grow light (on a timer set to match sunrise and sunset) and my plants are doing extremely well...tons of good growth and they always have blooms on them.

another thing i've found since i bought my house - the av's do much, much better when they are in those self-watering pots that are made specifically for av's!!

my orchid is a phal...it's always growing new leaves but hasn't flowered in a couple of years...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tall Primrose| Next thread: tarspot in holly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: