The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

C...Email Orchid ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Buzzzzzz| Next thread: Cabbage plant help »
Back to Thread index
by catlover on October 14, 2004 01:49 AM
quote:
Hi, my name is Christy, I'm very interested in orchids. I have two of my own, but I have a problem I need to know how to cut them. I have searched, and searched but I can't find the information I need. Please help me. I now that you have to cut them at the base but what is the base. I really need your help. Thankyou very much .
Can anyone help answer this question? Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by catlover on October 14, 2004 07:57 PM
quote:
Hi It's Christy. I have two orchid's, and I'm having problems finding out how to cut them I know you have to cut where the base is, on the stem that had flowers blooming. But do I need to cut the little stem in which the flower actually comes off of, or do I cut the at the very bottom where the roots are. sorry if that sounds confussung but I dont really know how to explain. Thank you very much, Christy

-
 -
 -
by Lily789 on October 16, 2004 01:45 AM
Hi Christy! Cool! Something about orchids! I absolutely love orchids. They are the best!

If your orchid is a phalaenopsis, then you can rebloom it on the old spike. That means you don't cut it and soon a stem of flowers will come out from the old spike. Notice on the spikes that there are nodes (little triangular things) that are placed every few inches. Cut your spike above the highest "node". Just wait a few weeks, and soon a new spike can grow out from that node. Be sure to have patience! But from my experience, it's not always guaranteed that this method will bring more flowers, but it's definitely worth a try.

If your orchid is something else, say an oncidium, dendrobium, cattleya, etc., then you can just cut the spike anywhere from half an inch to two inches from the base of the spike. The base of the spike is where the spike is attached to the plant. If you don't cut off the old spike at all, then it'll usually yellow and fall off on its own.

Have fun growing orchids!

~Lily

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Buzzzzzz| Next thread: Cabbage plant help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: