The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gladiolus flowers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Gladiolus Babies| Next thread: Gladiolus Seeds »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on August 14, 2005 07:15 AM
I am in zone 5 do I need to dig these up and winter them indoors. Hubbys granny has them out back and she does not dig em and they are ok but we just planted mine. SHould I dig em this winter and store em in the house?

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on August 14, 2005 08:50 AM
I hope not. I too am in zone 5 and am not planning on bringing mine inside, in fact, I am planning on moving them after the first frost, cuz where they are is not where I want them to be.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Karrie on August 14, 2005 09:27 AM
Well I guess we will find out. husbands grandmother has had her out for years. They are just fine from year to year although she has complained that they are not the color they used to be not sure if that is true or if she has just forgot. She claims they used to be yellow and they are now purple and white. lol
She had the same complaint about her irisis too

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by BFVISION on August 14, 2005 10:01 AM
I would be interested to hear how you make out. I am in zone 6 and always dig mine up. I would love to leave em in.
Good Luck

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by MaryReboakly on August 14, 2005 10:13 AM
I'm in 6b (really almost 7) and have no intention of digging them up. Not only did they get wacked down before they flowerd last summer, but we didn't even know they were there (we had just moved in) so they stayed put. I had no trouble with them coming up this year. I would just mulch heavily if you dont mind the risk of losing one or two in zone 5....in 6 I wouldnt worry at all about losing any, just mulch if anything. [Wink]

-
 -
by Triss on August 14, 2005 12:08 PM
I just figured if my irises and daffodils survive and thrive, then the glads should be good too. Being from California, I never would have even thought to pull them and winter them in the house, so I guess it is a good thing they made it.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by FloralGardenGeek on August 15, 2005 12:13 AM
I'm in a USDA zone 4b and I leave my glads in year round [Smile] ... I'm just too lazy [Embarrassed] to dig them up [Big Grin]

-
 -  -
 - Zone 5b/USDA 4b
by Karrie on August 15, 2005 02:31 AM
ok then they are gonna stay out doors! Wish me luck wonder how deep I should have planted them? I set them in as deep as they appeared to be in the pot. They will be in an area with mulch so I guess they will be fine.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Gladiolus Babies| Next thread: Gladiolus Seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: