The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help my Bird of Paradise!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by A Dancing Nancy on October 11, 2004 08:56 PM
Hi! I'm a bit new to this site and posted a question in the Houseplants forum regarding some help needed with my Bird of Paradise. Perhaps this is a more appropriate place to look for help. The plant is several months old (to my hosue atleast) and is not doing well- shriveling, brown edges and no response to misting, trimming off the dead part of leaves, etc. Any advice? I thought I might be overwatering as they like to dry out between waterings so I've left him alone for a couple weeks- still no luck!

A Dancing Nancy
by MZSHIRLEY on October 13, 2004 03:09 AM
HI NANCY, IF I CAN MAKE A SUGGESTION. TAKE YOUR PLANT OUT OF THE POT. WASH IT. GENTLY CLEAN ROOTS WITH WARM WATER AND DISH SOAP. USE NEW SOIL AND ADD A LITTLE FERTILIZER, STORE BRAND IS OK. YOU DID NOT SAY WHERE YOU ARE FROM. HOW OLD IS YOUR TREE? I AM IN NORTH CENTRAL FLORIDA. I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD MAGNOLIA TREE AND IT IS DOING GREAT. A NEIGHBOR GAVE IT TO ME. HE EVEN PLANTED IT FOR ME. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. SHIRLEY
by MZSHIRLEY on October 13, 2004 03:12 AM
NANCY, MY ERROR FOR NOT PAYING ATTENTION. I KNOW YOU HAVE A BIRD OF PARIDISE. WHEN I MENTIONED THE MAGNOLIA TREE IT WAS BY ERROR. TRY THE FEW THINGS I MENTIONED.

SHIRLEY
by A Dancing Nancy on October 13, 2004 05:42 AM
Hey Shirley! Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how old the tree is- I normally by plants from a nursery but found this Bird of Paradise at Target for $20! I couldn't resist! It looked really healthy when I brought it home and did well for over a month in its new pot. I fear I may have overwatered a bit until recently learning that they like to dry out a bit between waterings. I thought the dry leaf tips meant it wasn't getting enough humidity so I've been trimming of the dead ends and misting daily. I'll try your tip and let you know how it goes- thanks again! Oh, and my name is really Amy. I'm a huge Dave Matthews Band fan and my favorite song is Dancing Nancies, thus the screen name (and I'm from Atlanta!)
Nice to meet you!

A Dancing Nancy
by Carly on October 13, 2004 08:10 AM
Welcome, Amy - a bird of paradise. Hoo boy! I hope you can save it - they are lovely.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by ServantsHeart2003 on October 17, 2004 05:25 PM
If it doesn't survive (or maybe even if it does), I have seeds for this. I haven't grown any from seed and never had this plant but have been successful this year growing other kinds of trees from seed so will be giving this a try overwinter inside!! I have a mini greenhouse I got for Christmas already (told Mom this is ALL I want this year)!! If you would like a few seeds (they are a little large and I don't know how many I have but I am sure I can spare 5), LMK!! [thumb]

-

My Site
http://www.freewebs.com/froglver/
by MZSHIRLEY on October 19, 2004 02:07 AM
I HAVE A LADY I CLEAN FOR HERE IN FLA. SHE HAS A BIRD OF PARIDISE. SHE HAS NEGLECTED THIS PLANT. IT HAS MITE'S, AND IT IS ALWAYS DRY. I GO OUT IN THE SCREEN POOL AREA AND WATER IT SOMETIMES. NOW THE PIONT IS SHE OR I HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH IT AND NOW IT HAS 3 STALKS OF BEAUTIFUL COLOR POKING OUT. SOME PEOPLE DO NOTHING AND GET A PLANT TO SURVIVE. WE WORK AT OUR PLANTS HOPING OUR LOVE AND ATTENTION WILL HELP THEM TO GROW HEALTHY. SO IT CAN TAKE TOUGH LOVE. GOOD LUCK.

SHIRLEY

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: