The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

oh no my coleus has mold!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 12:33 AM
My newly sprouted coleus has mold on a patch [scaredy] . I just removed the molded area with my fingers and took off the dome lid for good! Does this mean my whole batch is doomed [tears] ???

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by JV on February 28, 2006 11:38 AM
It means your over watering take the dome off and leave it off try to get some heat and light to it so it will dry. Organic cornmeal is good for fungus and mold or plain cormeal that does not have any raising property or flour in it is also good for mold/fungus. I had black mold here and used cornmeal and it has not come back. Of course I am sure you have a lot more Humiditry in Boston then we do in Dallas area.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by tkhooper on February 28, 2006 11:05 PM
If you scraped it off and you follow Jimmy's directions your probably going to be fine. I would use caution about drying the soil to much because the coleus is a part of the mint family and likes moist soil. Just not wet. Good luck with your plants.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 11:57 PM
I have flour. So, I just pour flour over the the area that had the moldy patch?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 11:57 PM
I have flour. So, I just pour flour over the the area that had the moldy patch [nutz] ?

-
 -
by JV on March 01, 2006 07:13 AM
FlowerNewbie DO NOT USE FLOUR use cornmeal perferably organic cornmeal or plain ole cooking cornmeal. DO NOT USE SELF RISEING cornmeal. I water my Coleus from bottom pan only thing I put in the soil is organic fertilizer once or twice a year. I also use a moisture meter in the house and if it shows even moderate moisture I don't put water in the pan. In summer when they are outside about once or twice a week will spray the leaves with fine spray to get dust etc off of them so they can breathe.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by FlowerNewbie on March 01, 2006 07:18 AM
Hey just posted my coleus pics and all my other plants in Houseplants - come check it out!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: