The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avocado plant suspended in time

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Avocado Plant Problem| Next thread: Avocado Plants »
Back to Thread index
by Scarpo on February 21, 2006 03:49 AM
Hi guys. I have a question about an avocado plant I started about a half year ago. It grew to about a foot, leaves started growing, and upon advice from a web site I pinched off the growing tip to try and promote lateral growth. I harldly consider myself proficient at growing houseplants, a few dead cacti under my belt, but it appears to me the plant has stopped growing. It is about a foot and a half in height, with five fully grown leaves right at the top of the stalk. It gets plenty of sun, and I think I water it enough, but no new branches have formed for about 3 months. I repotted it recently to allow root growth. The leaves were about a third to a quarter their size they are now when I pinched it, and after that it only grew about a few inches taller, whereas it grew strongly before.

Is there anything I can do to coax this guy into branching out? I'd like to fix it, but I don't want to make the situation worse.
by tkhooper on February 21, 2006 03:57 AM
This is the link you want. It will tell you everything you need.

www.thegardenhelper.com/avocado.html

As close as I can figure you need to be at the fertilizing stage and you didn't mention that. I have one of those growing in my bathroom window and can't wait to plant it outside in the spring. Hope you have the best of luck with yours.

-
 -
by Scarpo on February 21, 2006 08:27 AM
Thanks, but I've seen that link.

It says to pinch it back when it hits a foot, and I haven't done that. I haven't used fertillizer yet, but I'm more worried about the fact that it's got no new growth, as in, I halted it by pinching off the place that it grew from. Since then the leaves (which are the original leaves that grew) have only grown larger.

Any ideas on ways to prune this guy so new growth occurs? should I hack leaves off? cut the whole thing back to a foot?

Thanks.
by Cricket on February 21, 2006 11:39 AM
I'm not experienced with avocados but growth slows for many plants as the amount of light they receive is reduced in winter.
by Triss on February 21, 2006 01:28 PM
I was thinking it could also be the winter slow down that all plants have. I would say let it go as it is until the warmth of spring comes and then go from there.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avocado Plant Problem| Next thread: Avocado Plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: