The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pothos

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pothos| Next thread: Pothos »
Back to Thread index
by PlantFaerie on February 16, 2006 04:52 AM
Ok, I think this goes here. (bare with me, keyboard is busted, so I may have a lack of spaces between words.) Anyway Ihave a Pothos growing inmy kitchen and I was wondering if it should be re-potted. It's almostthe perfect size rightnow. If it likesbeing root boundor if it won't harm it I'llleaveit the wayit is. Arg! I can't waitfor my keyboard to arrive wednesday! Anyway Helpis Appreciated! [thumb] [kissies]

-

Colonel Jack O'Neill "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that could explain all this? "

-

by peppereater on February 16, 2006 07:10 AM
I'd leave it alone. Someone else may have specific information I don't about pothos. Many houseplants like being a little rootbound. You might see if you can tap the pot a few times, and gently try to lift it form it's pot, the next time it's due for watering. Don't force it, hold it on it's side. If it slides out easily, you'll see whether it's rootbound or not. Unless it's just a solid mass of thick roots all around, Don't repot. [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by weezie13 on February 16, 2006 08:36 PM
Moving to HOUSE PLANTS!!! [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Karamy on February 17, 2006 07:24 AM
Ditto what Dave said, and Pothos specifically do like to be moderately pot-bound.

Karamy
by cathieken127 on March 01, 2006 02:26 AM
ok hear is a domb question what is a pothos plant?
by ShirlS on March 01, 2006 04:31 AM
here is a picture for you Cath
Pothos

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by cathieken127 on March 01, 2006 06:18 AM
thanks for the picture of a potho, it seams i have several of them. i always called them philadendrians. i guess i'm wrong. but they are very hardy and easy to grow. cathieken127
by ShirlS on March 01, 2006 07:00 AM
yes they are both hardy and easy. I once had a potho's that ran all around my dining room ceiling. I have a link that shows you what philodendron's look like. I used to call my plants philo's also. That is what I was told they were. who knew? [dunno]

Philodendron

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by weezie13 on March 01, 2006 07:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ShirlS:
yes they are both hardy and easy. I once had a potho's that ran all around my dining room ceiling.
I had a X~boyfriend who had one..
it was completely around every wall in the living room..

And he only watered it with his fish tank water..
When it was dry, he'd dip a cup into the tank and water.. that plant was beautifulllllllllll! [Cool] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ShirlS on March 01, 2006 12:57 PM
That would have been neat to see Weezie. Someone told me a long time ago, about the fish water. My fish must have had some pretty toxic poop because when I used it my plants started dying [gabby] . I have been Skeered ( scared) of using it ever since. Sounds like your ex boyfriend knew how much and when to use it.

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by weezie13 on March 01, 2006 01:11 PM
I don't think he was that smart...
To be reallllly honest..

It was one of the big tanks, I'll say about 25 gallons or bigger, **I am not good on size judging..**if you spread your arms out, it was as long as that????**
Are there bigger ones?? Dunno??

But he had gorgeous plants...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Cricket on March 01, 2006 02:11 PM
Recycled fish water contains nitrogen which is one of the nutrients plants use. Sounds like a good natural fertilizer, right? [thumb] Well, it can be but as the concentration of nitrogen in fish water depends on a number of factors it's hard to know if you're giving a plant the right amount. Remember, too, that nitrogen is only one nutrient that plants need, the other two major ones being phosphorous and potassium along with various trace elements. Sometimes too much of something is worse than none at all. So if you do decide to fertilize with fish water be cautious - use small amounts and watch carefully how your plants react.
by SpringFever on March 03, 2006 12:10 AM
Pothos also called devils ivy really cool plant!! I have had one in the same pot for about 5 years and only just re potted it when the leaves started to turn yellow ... now it looks great good luck with yours!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by FlowerNewbie on March 03, 2006 01:42 AM
Hey Spring, I was reading about the pothos last night they are cool... I think I'm about ready to move on from the av's (meaning not buy anymore) for now and start working on some greenery... do you have any clippings to spare? Where in your house is it?

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pothos| Next thread: Pothos »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: