The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Potted Palm - yellowing of fronds and leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by nosh on February 11, 2006 12:46 PM
HELP! We have a palm growing in a pot, about 18” tall x 18” diameter, kept on the Balcony of our apartment. The palm is now about 5 feet high. It has started to turn yellow on the fronds and its leaves are showing yellow and brown edges.

Our Balcony faces West and gets direct sunshine for only two to four hours of the day, depending on the season. It also gets a rather strong breeze. We water the potted palm every day.

We would welcome any information / guidance that would enable us to nurture the palm properly and keep it a healthy green. Thanks in anticipation
by Cricket on February 11, 2006 02:15 PM
Do you know the species of palm? Different species have different care requirements. It would be helpful if you can post a photo. Have you changed anything in the plant's environment recently, such as repotting?
by nosh on February 14, 2006 03:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cricket:
Do you know the species of palm? Different species have different care requirements. It would be helpful if you can post a photo. Have you changed anything in the plant's environment recently, such as repotting?
by nosh on February 14, 2006 03:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nosh:
quote:

quote:
[QB] posted by Cricket.
It is an Areca Palm. The palm was bought from a Nursery about three months ago and we re-potted it, then.

by Cricket on February 14, 2006 04:39 PM
Hi Nash,

Areca palms require bright light - your west facing balcony sounds like a good location.

Repotting a newly acquired plant is never a good idea. It can take several months for a plant to adjust to its new environment, during which time it is best not to introduce further changes. Repotting frequently leads to overwatering which causes root rot. Arecas prefer to be kept on the dry side.

Daily watering might be excessive. Even if the wind dries out the surface of the soil, the soil below can still be moist. Best way to determine moisture is to poke your finger deep into the soil. In a pot that size, water only when at least the top couple inches of soil is dry, then water the entire soil surface thoroughly until a bit of water runs through the drainage holes. Never let Arecas stand in water for more than an hour or so. This species of palm is very sensitive to hard or alkaline water; if necessary, switch to filtered water. Avoid fertilizing.

Arecas require temperatures of at least 60 F and don't fare well in low humidity. They are also prone to spider mites which are particularly problematic in lower humidity.

Any imbalances in their environment cause Arecas to react quickly with yellow fronds and brown tips which are best cut off as they will not reverse. They are difficult plants to keep looking their best.

Hopefully this information will be of some help. I'm interested in learning how your Areca fares! [Smile]
by Will Creed on February 17, 2006 05:00 AM
If your Areca is outside, then the light could be too strong and it may need very frequent watering.

How is the quality of your water? If it is very hard, you should switch to filtered or distilled.
by DowntoEarth on February 18, 2006 12:37 PM
I have had an Areca Palm for about 16 years, it was a four ft gift, now over 11 feet. It gets dapple sun, maybe a little more sun during a certain part of the day, but mostly bright indirect light most part of the day. It gets watered usually once a week and once in a blue moon I will skip a week if the soil feels moist enough. I qill let the top inch get close to dry before watering. I don't let it sit in any of the drained water.

DTE

My Areca Palm
by peppereater on February 19, 2006 02:07 AM
Wow, DTE, that is a beautiful palm.
Good information from all...
Many plants get brown edges from overwatering.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by DowntoEarth on February 19, 2006 02:16 PM
Thank you Dave! It's come to be an old friend!

Susan
by nosh on February 20, 2006 07:21 PM
quote:
Hi Nash,

Areca palms require bright light - your west facing balcony sounds like a good location.

Repotting a newly acquired plant is never a good idea. It can take several months for a plant to adjust to its new environment, during which time it is best not to introduce further changes. Repotting frequently leads to overwatering which causes root rot. Arecas prefer to be kept on the dry side.

Daily watering might be excessive. Even if the wind dries out the surface of the soil, the soil below can still be moist. Best way to determine moisture is to poke your finger deep into the soil. In a pot that size, water only when at least the top couple inches of soil is dry, then water the entire soil surface thoroughly until a bit of water runs through the drainage holes. Never let Arecas stand in water for more than an hour or so. This species of palm is very sensitive to hard or alkaline water; if necessary, switch to filtered water. Avoid fertilizing.

Arecas require temperatures of at least 60 F and don't fare well in low humidity. They are also prone to spider mites which are particularly problematic in lower humidity.

Any imbalances in their environment cause Arecas to react quickly with yellow fronds and brown tips which are best cut off as they will not reverse. They are difficult plants to keep looking their best.

Hopefully this information will be of some help. I'm interested in learning how your Areca fares! [Smile]

quote:

[QB] to advice by Cricket to Nosh

Thanks for your advice / guidance. Will water the Areca accordingly and report its progress to you after a couple of months.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: