The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Devil's Ivy Loosing Leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Devil's Ivy| Next thread: Deviled easter eggs »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on February 11, 2006 11:44 AM
I have had quite a few devil's ivy plants. Some of them I lost completely one leaf at a time. They started turning yellow and would fall off. Soon I had a long stem with no leaves. I tried to start another plant from this one, but it did the same thing. Then I bought a complete new one, and it has done well until now, I found a yellow leaf today, [tears] and I'm scared the same thing will happen again. What am I doing wrong or what can I do different? [dunno]
Please help me.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Cricket on February 11, 2006 02:24 PM
Hi Rosepetal,

Most indoor plant problems are the result of inappropriate light or watering, or repotting. Can you describe more fully how your pothos are cared for - light, watering, pot size, soil, fertilizer, etc. This additional information will help us better advise you.
by Rosepetal on February 12, 2006 01:28 PM
Hi Cricket,
I have my devil's ivy in medium size pot and its hanging in the southwest corner of my living room, bright lighting but no sun, I water it slightly with Schutz Plant Food mixed in the water diluted to half strength, about once a week and in a pot that drains well too. I pulled the first yellow leaf off this week on this one.
The one that died I did the same watering, pot size etc... but in an even brighter spot tho' no sun again. Does this give you enough to help me, the only thing I'm considering is to let the plant dry out completely 2 weeks maybe and then water it. What you think????

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Cricket on February 12, 2006 05:16 PM
Hi Rosepetal,

Pothos do best in bright indirect light though they will survive in lower light. Because our eyes quickly adjust to available light it is sometimes difficult to assess its brightness. As a rule of thumb, low light is considered the minimum level of light required to comfortably read a newspaper. Pothos do better in brighter light. Southwest light is fine unless the plant hangs far from the window. If you are at all uncertain that the pothos is receiving adequate light, try moving it nearer to the window but not in direct sunlight (a couple hours of late afternoon/evening sun is OK).

I think you are on the right track to suspect the problem is related to your watering regime. Pothos need to dry out moderately between waterings. Thoroughly water the entire surface of the soil until a little water runs through the drainage holes, then let the top 1/2" of soil dry out before watering thoroughly again. Using the calendar to schedule waterings is an unreliable method because there are so many variables that cause soil to dry out at different rates. A better method is to poke your finger into the soil to determine moisture.

I would also lay off the fertilizer. You are correct to be diluting it but despite what manufacturers would have us believe, houseplants require very little fertilizer and only when actively growing. Fertilizer will not help an ailing plant and could actually cause harm.

Do you know the diameter of the pot in inches (or centimeters)? Have you repotted the plant since acquiring it? If so, that is also another possible cause of the pothos problems but from your description, I suspect the problem likely stems from incorrect watering.

If my suggestions make sense, give them a try and please let us know if the plant improves or if the problems continue we'll try another approach. [grin]
by Rosepetal on April 02, 2006 02:10 AM
Cricket

I followed your advice about fertilizer. [thumb]

It's been a few weeks now since I've pulled off a yellow leaf on my devil's ivy. I have two of these and may start another if things go well. [flower]

I'm now watering with regular tap water. I love these plants and hated to loose another one, thanks millions for you advice. [kissies]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Devil's Ivy| Next thread: Deviled easter eggs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: