The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Caladium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Caladium| Next thread: Caladium Bedtime? »
Back to Thread index
by Carly on September 23, 2004 05:01 PM
I got this as a small plant in the spring - had it on the table garden, then put it in the ground. It wasn't dying, but it wasn't growing either, so I put it back in a pot and kept it on the table garden.

Last Sunday, I potted it for the apartment - here it is:

-

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by sidheblooms on September 24, 2004 02:50 AM
i am sure that you have the correct name..but i call that ladies slippers. i love them..and find that they grow like crazy!! i am constanly propagating it and sharing them with all who live near me. they are forgiving plants who NEED good drainage, frequent watering and high light levels. i like them..and my huge mother plant is hanging and it flows down so beautiful. as i find that it follows the sun, i am constanly spinning the plant so it doesnt get one
sided. and i foliar spray it every week or so to get rid of the dust. a wee bit of seaweed in the foliar spary ensures that the leaves dont look anemic.

have fun!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Carly on September 24, 2004 06:54 AM
Well, thanks for that information - ladies slippers . . . had no idea.

How do you propigate it? I'd love to do it.

:-0

-
by sidheblooms on September 24, 2004 05:13 PM
for this one i propagate the easiest way that i know how...

take a very sharp knife..and slice a single shoot on an angle. then immerse in water......est voila!! now all you do is place the bottle (like a glass pop bottle or sumpin) in yer window sill. it takes about 1 weeek to see this signs of roots..but wait till you have lots of nice hairy roots..about 1 inch long before you re-pott. dont forget to keep the water level up..you dont want to be drying up these fresh legs.

good luck..

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Carly on September 27, 2004 08:36 AM
Well, a caladium doesn't have a hairy root or stem. Their stems are almost . . . whaddyacallit . . . tubular? When they grow the stems stand straight out.

I've never tried to propigate one - I will when it grows though.

Ladies Slipper - now I know what that looks like -I don't think I have any. But still, if I get any, thanks for telling me about that.

:-0

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Caladium| Next thread: Caladium Bedtime? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: